too stubborn to quit :) need help

ok, I am the guy that posted about 2 weeks ago about the 110V Montgomery ward welder.

I was having issues striking an arc and was told to be patient, practice is needed due to low OCV on these lil junkboxes.

last night I spent two hours trying to get an arc. was able to burn off about an inch of 6011 1/8" and maybe a quarter of 6011 3/32"

was able to get plenty of sparks, but the rods just would not sustain an arc. brand new rods too

this is getting me to think that maybe the box needs some TLC, or I really need some tutorials about striking an arc that have good sections on troubleshooting bad techniques.

I don't think I've had this much problem with my dads 240V arc box, nor with the wirefeed that was at my last job.

some suggestions? preferably links?

Reply to
Tater Schuld

what amperage are you welding with?

Reply to
digitalmaster

Crank it up to max amperage. If it works, come down a step at a time until it works good without burning up the rod before it's finished. If it doesn't work, tie a rope to it and use it for a boat anchor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Try some smaller rod. Most 110v welders are too cold to handle that rod, from what I have seen. Remember, the area of 1/8" rod is 4 times that of

1/16".
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have a Canox Sparkler. When I first got the welder I pinched some rods from work. 3/32" all, some 6011 and some 7018 Had a great deal of trouble with the 7018. Would spark and run with a new rod but if I broke the arc, a re-start was usually impossible. AC or DC, made no difference. Unlike some home welders, this one will work with AC and 7018 rods from work (as long as you don't have to re-start). After cooling off the rods would start again for some reason.

When at my welding supply the salesman (my best friend's brother in law) said "here are some 7018 rods for you to try". They were in packs of 6 rods each. I actually argued that I had lots of rods and didn't need them but he insisted so I took two packs.

I couldn't believe those rods. Instant start, run good, re-start flawlessly (over and over). You won't believe this but I packed up my stolen rods and took them back to work and turned myself in to the boss. They have enough OCV backed by 3-phase power to use a wooden dowel for welding rod (LOL).

To this very day, I buy rods made for home use and am pleased with the result.

Just my experience and I am NOT suggesting that you have stolen some rods. The point is that rods can make a difference.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

You might be having trouble simply on the way you strike up. Experienced hands just tap the rod but when things go wrong we play "airplane". To strike up pretend you are back in your youth playing with toy airplanes and gradually land the tip of the rod on the steel keeping a forward motion then take off again. Do that a few times until you have the feel of the arc sparking as you land and take off. Next step is to land and touch then take off the surface just slightly, stop your forward motion, and hold the gap. Remember that as the rod burns off you have to keep lowering the tip. If you can maintain an arc for several seconds the end gets hot enough that it is relatively difficult to get too close and have the rod stick. Dragging the tip across the surface is one method that works but is frowned upon because it leaves arc tracks. For home use with a stubborn welder or electrode it is fool proof. Randy

I was having issues striking an arc and was told to be patient, practice is needed due to low OCV on these lil junkboxes.

last night I spent two hours trying to get an arc. was able to burn off about an inch of 6011 1/8" and maybe a quarter of 6011 3/32"

was able to get plenty of sparks, but the rods just would not sustain an arc. brand new rods too

this is getting me to think that maybe the box needs some TLC, or I really need some tutorials about striking an arc that have good sections on troubleshooting bad techniques.

I don't think I've had this much problem with my dads 240V arc box, nor with the wirefeed that was at my last job.

some suggestions? preferably links?

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

The better a weldor is, the hotter they can weld. This is preferred by experienced weldors for penetration, fusion, and deposition of metal. People who don't know how to weld, or who are new at it tend to use amperages that are too low because once they establish a puddle, they don't know what to do with it, and experience sticking. I don't believe high amperage settings are ever a cause of sticking. An experienced weldor can set the machine at where it should be for that electrode and the thickness of metal and for the direction of travel, and the newbie can't handle it. Everything is happening so fast, they usually experience burn through or hot shortness.

Then again, you have never ascertained whether the problem is actually in the machine or the procedure.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

Sorry, I meant to say the OP never ascertained whether the problem is actually in the machine or the procedure.

Apologies.

brain fart ............... I feel better now ............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Excuse me if this was asked-and-answered 2 weeks ago, but have you measured the OCV? If the box is defective and the OCV too low, you're never going to get anywhere. Except crazy from frustration. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Randy, that was a great post, I will give it a try when I can.

Ignoramus28084

A good "Cheat" I have used since I started welding was using the rod that is problematic and one way to try to get the arc sparked was to heat the tip and the base metal with a propane torch for a little bit. Having the rod and work clean is an obvious issue but heck, it does work on the smaller welders. I used to have one and that trick worked more than once. I don't know why or how but give it a shot.

respects, Rob

Fraser Competiti>> ok, I am the guy that posted about 2 weeks ago about the 110V Montgomery

Reply to
RDF

I know someone mentioned it, but no one mentioned how to measure it. will a simple meter do or is something exotic needed?

Reply to
Tater Schuld

no it wasn't ascertained. that is part of the problem :)

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Yep.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Reply to
RoyJ

Royj just stated an analog meter. However measure where might be the issue at the box leads ? but they are covered... Inside the box maybe.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Tater Schuld wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn