Is welding dangerous for the eyes?

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I weld every day, and the last time I asked my ophthalmologist about things, his response was that the only changes/damage he saw in my eyes were likely the results of 40 years of life more than 20 years of welding.

I think you are more likely to get grit or spatter in your eyes, or trash your lungs, or hurt your hearing while welding with any ANSI compliant helmet than you are likely to hurt your vision through the actions of the arc.

Do be careful about wearing light colors, I think a filthy leather jacket reflects less UV off your chest into your helmet than a new, clean, green coat. A very bright white room would not be my first choice, either.

I'll chime in for the 951P and the Huntsman 1105VS lens. I love it.... I just used a Speedglas fixed 10 shade helmet for a week, and I got way more flash as it kicked in, and the helmet fit quite poorly. I hated it. I'm so happy my new 1105VS came in today!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

So... what was the difference?

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

[snip]

Ernie, thank you so much for your experienced and rational response. It is good to know that what I had assumed based on my own "common sense" is spot-on with the reality of the situation.

Thanks again,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

So far so good for me, as I am 60 years old and have welded for over 36 years. I use the regular old fashion helmet, not the newer auto darkenning helmets. Just use a dark lens. If you can see the work before you strike the arc, then go darker with the lens. Now this is my rule for me and my employees. I have never burned my eyes, just lucky. Most of the time someone else will do that to you and not to yourself. Safety is the rule as always.

Reply to
Paul Wilson

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Just an addition that shows that the helmet isn't all: Had a bit of a flashy-feeling in my eyes yesterday night. Checked my helmet today without finding anything. When I continued welding, I realized what it was. I had a black sweatshit on with big white letters on the chest.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Yup, light colors will get you. But then again, polyester will too (napalm).

Reply to
John L. Weatherly