Letters Soldering,Mig/Tig Continuous jointing Stainless Steel Letters

My Question's are about continuous jointing of 0.9mm Stainless Steel at right angles (sorry for omitting this detail from my story on the first posting, all hints and tips will be received gratefully, the specific points of these questions are Material for jointing Solder, Flux, Mig/Tig Wire, Gas, Soldering Iron. What is the best way of preparing the joint area for soldering etc.. These joints are decorative not at all required to withstand any kind of stress other that its own weight which will be less than a 1 lb.

Thanking you Oliver Norris

Reply to
Oliver Norris

TIG is the best method for welding thin stainless sheet, but long run sheet welds on outside corners are a problem, distortion can make it impossible to do, plus high skill needed. If the welds are not over maybe 2" in length, no problem. Fitted properly, no filler rod is even needed, you could automate the process easily, if quantities dictate this.

Reply to
David Algie

Thanks very much for your advice andprompt reply which will be taken great attention of bt me. any further tips from anyone who may know of any of the methods for jointing Stainless steel will be appreciated...

Reply to
Oliver Norris

The more information you give the better the answers will be. My first thought was that you could use silver solder. That can be done with a little hand held propane torch. But it would be good to know what alloy the stainless is. Recently I made some parts out of 17-7 ph stainless intending to silver soldiering them together. Well 17-7 ph does not like ordinary silver solder. I made some more parts out of

316 stainless. But depending on what you are doing, could you not just use a sheet metal brake and put a right angle bend in the stainless rather than joining two pieces?

Stainless does not solder with regular solder

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Reply to
David Billington

Thank you for your help The type of Stainless to be used has not been selected as yet so I am afraid I May be back when further details are available to me... Oliver Norris

Reply to
Oliver Norris