Made this welding table from 2" plate

http://yabe.chudov.com/Extremely-heavy-duty-10ft-x-6ft-x-31-welding-table-2-thick-2-TONS-24676/DSC_0044.JPG
Kind of interesting, made from 2 inch steel plate and really heavy
I-beam legs. The I-beams were oroginally made to be used for vertical load.
Table weighs over 2 tons.
Just what I need for riveting firearms. The solid you can clamp down parts to rivet, the better the job.
Thought I'd stop by after a LONG absense
Welcome back, Karl.
Hul

Hey! Long time no see!
I can make and sell you a welding table like this with about 1 3/4" thick top:
http://yabe.chudov.com/HEAVY-DUTY-WELDING-TABLE-BLACKSMITH-BENCH-32-dia-X-32-height-2-thick-22122/
It is not so big but great for riveting.

I have such a table in my blacksmith shop on a pallet:
https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Blacksmith-Forge/
On 04/29/2017 12:43 PM, Ignoramus31816 wrote:

Wow! My welding table is topped with a piece of 3/8" plate (4'x4') and I don't remember any time I wanted something thicker...
BobH

Neither do I, but I know that when it comes to welding tables, size and thickness matter.
Your table is probably small. That's why 3/8" plate is OK.
For a large table like 7x10, 3/8" plates would have hard times staying flat and straight, unless they had solid frames underneath.
I have two welding tables for small stuff. One is a Lyon workbench, and another is a cart with 3/8" top. Works fine for me. The big stuff, I weld on concrete floor. ;-)
I love this business, getting plates from one place, legs from another, doing some welding and making money. I am also thinking of making blacksmith tools. Something where $5 of labor can be parlayed into $30 of added value.
message

Why is it that I need an hour of labor to make a $5 tool?
I spent several hours this week making spacers and washers.
Ignoramus31816 wrote:

Now imagine SWMBO saying "Darling, wouldn't it be much nicer to have the table over there".
--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy < snipped-for-privacy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com>

plate as good as new

I did not measure it. To my eye, it looked very flat as I looked across it.
replying to Ignoramus31816, jesscaper wrote: Were you able to make such a table yourself?
replying to Ignoramus31816, jesscaper wrote: Were you able to make such a table yourself?
replying to Ignoramus31816, traysmell wrote: This is quite a difficult task, you are well done.