Made this welding table from 2" plate

Kind of interesting, made from 2 inch steel plate and really heavy I-beam legs. The I-beams were oroginally made to be used for vertical load.

Table weighs over 2 tons.

Ignoramus31816

Just what I need for riveting firearms. The solid you can clamp down parts to rivet, the better the job.

Thought I'd stop by after a LONG absense

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Welcome back, Karl.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Wow! My welding table is topped with a piece of 3/8" plate (4'x4') and I don't remember any time I wanted something thicker...

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Hey! Long time no see!

I can make and sell you a welding table like this with about 1

3/4" thick top:

It is not so big but great for riveting.

Ignoramus31816

Neither do I, but I know that when it comes to welding tables, size and thickness matter.

Your table is probably small. That's why 3/8" plate is OK.

For a large table like 7x10, 3/8" plates would have hard times staying flat and straight, unless they had solid frames underneath.

I have two welding tables for small stuff. One is a Lyon workbench, and another is a cart with 3/8" top. Works fine for me. The big stuff, I weld on concrete floor. ;-)

I love this business, getting plates from one place, legs from another, doing some welding and making money. I am also thinking of making blacksmith tools. Something where $5 of labor can be parlayed into $30 of added value.

Ignoramus31816

I have such a table in my blacksmith shop on a pallet:

Ignoramus31816

"Ignoramus31816" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Why is it that I need an hour of labor to make a $5 tool?

I spent several hours this week making spacers and washers.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Now imagine SWMBO saying "Darling, wouldn't it be much nicer to have the table over there".

Reply to
Volker Borchert

plate as good as new

Reply to
Ignoramus13778

I did not measure it. To my eye, it looked very flat as I looked across it.

Reply to
Ignoramus10164

replying to Ignoramus31816, jesscaper wrote: Were you able to make such a table yourself?

Reply to
jesscaper

replying to Ignoramus31816, jesscaper wrote: Were you able to make such a table yourself?

Reply to
jesscaper

replying to Ignoramus31816, traysmell wrote: This is quite a difficult task, you are well done.

Reply to
traysmell