Maxstar 140 inverter clashes with huntsman auto view???

Is there some kind of a problem using inverters with auto darkening hoods? I saw mention of this on another forum and I was having problems with my Huntsman auto View VLS when I tried tig welding with my new maxstar 140. This hood has worked perfect for 5 years with synchrowave 250 and Pow Con Inverter but the the darkening stops in the middle af a tig weld with the maxstar randomly and flashes my eyes (not good) Do I have to get a special hood or whats up?? any experiances with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks for any feedback. Jim

Reply to
Jim Moser

Most modern inverters put out a dimmer arc thatn transformer machines. This can mean that many hoods do not react consistantly.

You can try adjusting your sensitivity way up, but that still may not help.

I retired my old Speedglas XL hood because it would not react properly to my Maxstar 140 or Maxstar 200DX.

I have a Jackson EQC Nexgen now and love it.

There are several hoods out now that are inverter sensitive.

Jackson EQC Nexgen Speedglas 9000xi Huntsman 1105vxl

I am sure that Selstrom, Optrel, Xelux, and the rest will follow soon.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I've got an older Jackson, before the NexGen came out, and use it with a Miller Dynasty 300DX. The problem I've experienced is with low end TIG work in the less than 30 amp range. The filter would lighten in the most inappropriate time. Very frustrating. I can adjust the hood sensitivity so that it stays dark all the time. By carefully backing off so that the sensitivity is set to the max AND will still allow the hood to lighten, the hood stays dark during welding. The downside is that the ultra sensitive hood is triggered by other factors such as local light sources, flourescent lights, ect. It's frustrating getting stray darkening but less frustrating than getting stray flashes while welding. I'll most likely upgrade to the NexGen when a killer deal floats across my desk.

Reply to
gradstdnt

Thanks for the info, I guess my hood is obsolete. Iwill have to go look at some of these choices and get more confused Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Moser