McGyvering a gun

I have a Lincoln SP175+ MIG. The gun that comes on it is crappy. I've had it apart a half a dozen times, fooling with the contactor points in there, which amount to a tiny washer, a spring, and two wires with crimps on the ends.

The gun has some life in it. Rather than just junking it and spending $100 or more for a new one, couldn't I just go get a decent pushbutton and wire it to the outside of the handle in the most comfortable position, and rerouting the wires? It's just a shunt from the relay. When it's welding, it's a joy, but when it goes in 2,5, and 10 second spluts, it's a pain.

I need to get this running, and running like it's supposed to because I have a project to do. $100 would buy some materials, and if I can fix it with a $5 switch, that would be fine with me.

I don't know why Lincoln would put such a piece of crap on one of their welding machines.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Shouldn't be that hard. I replaced the switch on my Century with a standard micro-switch. MUCH better now. I milled a small plastic block to hold the switch and with the block it fit directly in place of the original switch.

Reply to
Steve W.

I futzed with the switch a while back, and I thought I had it working good. But it just gets in a certain position, and it goes off and on. Nothing that is good for a good consistent weld. Was thinking of buying another gun, then thought of just getting a new switch. Will go shopping and see what's available. There's just two wires. As you say, making a block or something to hold the switch is the work of it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What's that Lassie? You say that Steve B fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:25:24 -0800:

Search around a little for switches for tig torches. There are several types, all made to be strapped to a tig torch. Should work good for this purpose too.

Reply to
dan

One thing I don't have to look for, probably have 50 on hand. Plus assorted membrane types and various others. Hit any of the surplus outfits and you will find lots of them.

Reply to
Steve W.

What's that Lassie? You say that Steve B fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:25:24 -0800:

Here's a link to one place:

dan

The membrane types I use are stainless steel snap dome switch. Also have stand alone versions. Still I would think a Cherry or Honeywell with a narrow body would be easier to adapt. Got any dead mice around. The switch from one of those would likely work.

Reply to
Steve W.

I think I just want something substantial that will hold up to dingleberries. I think I will have to handle the handle ergonomically to see just where I end up putting the switch. I think a button type would be best, and anything with a membrane would get smoked in ten minutes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a cost ceiling on this of $5. I can darn near get a new gun for those prices.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B