mig guides contaminating wire

We have a situation where we HAVE to weld big pieces of 286 stainless steel, which has a reputation for being VERY tricky to weld. Smaller test pieces were used to develop MIG weld parameters that worked OK. Now that the full size parts are being welded, tiny cracks are developing in the 286 at the edge of the filler weld beads.

One comment is the Hastelloy W filler wire is wearing out the (bronze?) guides real fast. Copper contamination could well be death for these welds.

Anybody have any problems with guide materials contaminating their wire?

Reply to
djtcz

Any preheat involved? That is the normal cure for cracking problems.

Have some glass-filled teflon or Nylatron guides made. That should cure the wear problem.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler