Back with my stolen truck

I haven't posted for the last week because I was in California recovering my stolen Toyota truck and helping on my Sister's steel awning project.

The truck is fine. I was able to restore almost all the trim bits that were stripped, from Bay Area junk yards. The last 2 items were found today just south of Seattle, a really nice Cloth bench seat and an antenna mount.

Just goofy the stuff they took. In cleaning the truck out I removed the seat and found some hypodermic needles, a LARGE hunting knife, and a baggy of some suspicious herb wedged in the seat cushion. I don't think the cops really searched it very well before impounding it.

All told it cost me about $600 to get all the parts to put it back together. Luckily they left the engine alone. This is the original engine and at 150,000 mile I just got 25MPG in the mountains and 33 MPG everywhere else. Damn but I do love 22R's. This engine just purrs. It is the most valuable part of the truck.

If anybody knows of a rear sliding window for a Toyota xtracab pickup '84 - '88, please let me know. A new aftermarket one from JC Whitney is going to cost about $125.

I found one in a junkyard today, but the jackasses had twisted the frame getting it out of the truck.

The window guys have told me to just cut the gasket off to remove it and buy a new gasket for the install.

The rear sliding window is the last piece I am looking for.

Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

Jeez can ya get enough if ya sell the 'Baggie' and knife to buy a window?

I hear ya about those 22R's got one in my '82 'yoter'.. runs as good as the day it was built..

Dave J.R.G (just a regular guy)

Reply to
Dave August

Way cool, Ernie!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Congrats on the CWI -- how do you get 25 and 33mpg on that engine ?? I have the 22R in a 1984 with 216k on it and it always runs about 20-22 mpg as I drive by your house !! (I live in Kirkland and work in Auburn)

WARNING -- watch the timing chain on that engine -- it will eat through the inside of the timing cover into the water passage -- common failure (ask me how I know ... ) If you have not replaced the chain, consider doing it soon !!

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

I was rather stunned myself. I had all the fluids changed in Berkeley before I left.

I only filled up 3 times the whole 800 mile trip, and I could have skipped the last one.

Usually what happens is the chain tensioner, which is oil pressure driven, gets it's feed way clogged with gunk. That slacks your chain, which then beats the chain guide to bits on the passenger side. Then the chain starts grinding through the aluminum cover. If it cuts through to the coolant line, you get a block full of mayonaise.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

- Ernie Leimkuhler - spluttered in news:180320051944221564% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

That's great Ernie!

Reply to
Greg M

I don't know of a opening back window that isn't easy to break into. Congrats of the new cert.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I didnt give you pallet racks? Damn..should have reminded me.

Good to see you survived the trip, friend.

Gunner

Gunner

Yep - that pallet rack is what I wish I had - then there is the over head H type of moving chain hoist - where one I-Beam rolls down two and the hoist rolls down the I-Beam.

One of those would be nice to move stuff around the shop! And unload trucks as they deliver more stuff.

I found a guy that has more treasures and scrap this and that - Paul Nerren's Junk Barn - several acres (and 14 buses) full of this and that. Lots of stuff I want for the shop and he has a junk or so so.

I was there with a friend so toy time wasn't possible. e.g. Saw Mill blades - nice metal. Tractor (farm) rakes ? - 1/2" spring metal rods. ..... Resources!

Plasma cutter should be in Friday (oh - that is hours away now :-) )

I have to check on the racks - I know a company going out of business here and might have some in the stores area.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

nice metal.

Saw mill blades???? The guys on rec.knives would give a testicle for that stuff.

Id not mind having some either..but not for a testicle

Gunner

Gunner