Miller plasma cutter help

I've got a Miller Spectrum 701 plasma cutter that's not working at the moment. When plugged in with an air line attached, a few seconds after being switched on, the ready light will come on, just as it always did when it was working properly. Just when you squeeze the trigger, there's nothing.

Any ideas? It seems that since the ready light is still coming on, this is just something non-major, no?

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I forgot to mention that no air comes out of the torch either. So, if you squeeze the trigger with the machine on and air plugged in, nothing happens.

Josh

Josh wrote:

Reply to
Josh Fowler

I've been through those pieces a few times and they are in pretty good shape.

Thanks Jim.

Josh

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Josh Fowler

If you have the manual there likely is a trouble shooting chart ... Miller also has manuals online. You need the exact model and serial. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Does air come out when you turn the output control all the way to the left.? (Air pressure test)

Reply to
Jim

Make sure your trigger is actually closing when pressed-a meter or continuity light will confirm this.

Miller plasmas, with their never ending safeties are a pain. Among the most tempermental of plasma cutters out there.

Many of these safeties revert back to the circuit board.

From my experience, it could be a safety or, more probably, a circuit board problem.

Good Luck brad

Reply to
Brad King

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Jim forwarded me a link to the manual and for my problem, it only says to take it to a Miller repair center,etc. I'll mess with it more tomorrow and see what happens.

Josh

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Josh Fowler

Could be a bad switch in the torch head, or a broken wire in the cable. Unfortunately, it is probably the control board, though.

They use little tiny chip FETs to sense and condition the control inputs. One of them may be toast. This would be a moderately simple repair if it weren't for that infernal conformal coating they use on the board. A new board is about $250.

My plasma had a similar problem. I did attempt to repair the board (and I repair surface mount equipment for a living), but that coating defeated me. By the time I managed to chew through it, I'd mangled the traces on the board. So I bit the bullet and bought the replacement board.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman