motorcycle gas tank welding -advice needed

Now for my method! First, find an old hair dryer, the type that had a hose on it. Discard the plastic head cover. Now, fill the tank with water, and empty. Do this three times. Now, insert the hair dryer hose into the filler hole. Turn on the dryer. The hose is usually smaller then the filler hole, so air can escape. let it completely dry the inside of the tank. Weld immediately. If allowed to sit for a while, the adsorbed fuel molecules on the inside surfaces may slowly evaporate. This can form a combustible mixture.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

If you put the exhaust from any engine into it and weld with the engine running you will be ok. The exhaust will not burn, no oxygen. It will stop the fumes from exploding the same way dry ice does. - no oxygen. This works great, and no need to find a supply of dry ice.

Reply to
John Smith

Reminds me of the old joke. A parachutist jumped out of the plane, counted 5 and pulled his rip cord. Very little happened. Oh *** he thought. Never mind, dump that canopy and deploy the reserve. Pulled the second rip cord and nothing happened. He is now plummeting earthwards at a fair rate when he sees his pal flying upwards at a similar rate. "Know anything about parachutes?" he shouts. "No" came the reply, "can you weld gas tanks?" Apologies to all who have heard this before.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Been there! Also bear in mind that, if you've got one or two good sized grazes on your hands, the current with 12V and the electrolyte can come very close to fatal levels. I have ended up even applying the old BTH test house rules to this situation... "When working on open switchgear, the worker must keep one hand in his pocket at all times". It's a good rule and it usually works.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand