non-gas TIG?

Has anyone ever heard of flux-cored or flux coated TIG rod? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

thanks

Reply to
ben carter

Might work for the filler, but the tungsten would be unprotected. If you wonder why that matters, try a quick weld with no sheilding gas. (not that I've ever done this of course;->)

Pete

Reply to
Peter Snell

Woulnt stick welding qualify? Henning

Reply to
kofta

yes. the tungsteon is a non-consumable. how would the flux enter the pool?

Reply to
Nathan Collier

It could possibly be flux cored to avoid the use of a backing gas not the shielding gas.

John

John Dyson

he tungsten would disintegrate.

There are fluxes used with TIG. The Navy has been experimenting with them for making better Stainless steel welds.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Well if you haven't done it , I have a couple of times when I simply forgot to turn the gas on at the regulator. (Call me eager to get welding.) The result is an arc that is the wrong colour--blue if I recall correctly. The weld pool and surrounding area are ugly and the tungsten needs to be repointed. This all happens before the puddle is able to accept the filler. So, I think you'd be hooped well before the shielding from the putative tig flux core filler would have a chance to work.

But I am just a weekender. Maybe the pros have more experience doing it without gas than me.

Reply to
David Todtman