oh shoot

Heck, I remember when I was living in Silicon Valley a guy got a $500 ticket for having a gallon of muriatic acid in his garage. Kicker was he bought it from a store about two blocks from his house, and every single house in his area had a pool and stored pool chemicals including - you guessed it - muriatic. Guilty.

It was in the San Jose Mercury News back about 1994. Sheesh.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

At least around here almost everyone gets their TV from cable. That reduces the potential for upsetting based on the RF noise.

Just having started doing welding in the middle of silicon valley with close neighbors all around, I am hoping none of my activities get the neighbors riled.

I do have to admit that I was turning with my lathe around midnight and the tool was singing because I was turning a groove and afraid to cut hard. I think I better try to remember not to annoy much in the future. The neighbors that I would most likely have disturbed have kids who like the current BOOM BOOM BOOM music, so maybe we can come to an understanding if it ever comes up.

Reply to
xray

I recently bought a plotter/cutter and am doing signs and graphics from my home and it is very restrictive. I am still in the welding business but am getting this going for when I decide to retire from welding. SO, if you need signs or graphics you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@bak.rr.com for a quote and keep it off here. Like customers cannot come to your house. You can only use one room of your home for this business. Any and all equipment must be retained in that one room, not in garage, backyard, no where, except in that one room they allow you. No signs advertising your business. If you have a company truck, it cannot contain your business name, truck if it does have signs on it, must not be visible from the street. Just all kinds of crap. I should have just said screw the city and not gotten a license at all but I am getting large enough orders that I have to have legitimate standing in order to sell the signs and graphics that I can produce. ISN'T CITY LIFE JUST ABSOLUTELY PEACHY.

Reply to
Jess

Did I mention that recently I wound up with (5) Lincoln "LinConditioners", which look like a mid sized shop vac, but have a ceramic filter inside..that is used to suck up welding smoke and filter it clean?

Gunner

Gunner

I read my homeowner's policy carefully. No mention of welding whatever, no exclusion for coverage if O/A tanks are present, nothing at all like that. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote in

Insurance policies are like that. You don't find out what they contain or what they mean until AFTER you have a loss. Or what the exclusions are. Or the deductibles. Or gobbledygook ............

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"xray" wrote

Noise is defined by occupational safety experts as unwanted sound. "Music" can be argued not to be noise, although at times, it is coming in so unwanted from passing vehicles that it qualifies as noise.

But in a tug of war in court about the two points, the "singing" on the boom box would win over the "singing" of your lathe as to which one is acceptable.

I personally prefer the machine noise to the OOGGAH BOOGAH music and angry filthy rantings coming out of the car stereos.

Guess I am just getting old.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sure glad I left that place in 85. It was pretty nice there until the late 60s.

Reply to
michael

"Angry filthy rantings"?? Are you saying that you actually can understand those lyrics? Hell, I can't hear anything other than the THUMP THUMP.

Joe (who does a weekly radio show featuring 60s & 70s progressive rock - some with bleeped angry filthy rants, too)

Reply to
Joe

Or make it a religious thing: you are working on the Arc of the Joining

Reply to
Fred R

Sounds like an application of a GP kind of law that allows fuzzy law to exist. I kept my acid in the pump house.

Grant Erw> Heck, I remember when I was living in Silicon Valley a guy got a $500

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

--Been there, done that. Verily I say unto you MOVE to another town. By the time you're done with the permitting process you'll have given up all rights granted you by the Constitution and that's no way to live in one's home. If you *do* manage to go thru all the hoops correctly all it takes is one phonecall by someone who doesn't like what you're doing to shut down your operation permanently. The d*****ad running the local crack house shut down my operation this way.

Reply to
steamer

Nonsense. Insurance policies are a contract, with terms well spelled out (although often difficult to understand).. What good would they be otherwise?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I can tell you have not had many Encounters of the KY Variety. (dealings with insurance companies)

The good is that they separate you from your money, and you have a heck of a time getting it back. A contract that is difficult to understand? And yet the average person willingly signs it. And, AS I SAID, has problems AFTER they have a loss.............. I don't understand when you say, "What good would they be otherwise?" after saying they are difficult to understand. They have to be difficult to understand to be any good? Please explain your position(s) or lack thereof.

Go to any city in the US with a population over 4 million. Pick out the ten tallest buildings. A high percentage of them are insurance companies.

Does that tell you anything?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote: (clip) Pick out the ten tallest buildings. A high percentage of them are insurance companies. Does that tell you anything? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It tells me that insurance companies have to invest the money that comes in, in order to be able to cover the claims that are going to come in.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It tells me that there must be a pretty good profit in the insurance game. Pardon me, trade.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote: It tells me that there must be a pretty good profit in the insurance game. Pardon me, trade. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I knew what you were driving at. But do you see what I was getting at? Insurance companies can't make a profit if they just pay the losses with the money they take in. They have to invest the premiums at interest, so the expected losses still leave them a profit.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Incorrect, they can and do make a profit by charging premiums that exceed the predicted losses. Their actuaries spend plenty of time figuring out how much a particular coverage will cost in claims and they price the premiums to collect that much plus whatever profit they can get away with. Any investment profits just ice the corrupt cake. And premiums are regularly increased to offset losses in a completely unrelated area.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote: Incorrect, they can and do make a profit by charging premiums that exceed the predicted losses. (clip) Any investment profits just ice the corrupt cake. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If I don't argue with you, please don't mistake that for agreement.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

And a pretty good profit when you can build some of THE biggest tallest buildings in a large city.

And a pretty good scheme, too. Here, let me hold your money, and if you have a loss, you can try to get some of it back.

Hmmmmmm. Let's see. There's the deductible. The exclusions. The preexisting conditions. The prudent person clause.

OOOOPS. This shows you owe US money!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB