OT Electrical Question

I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate the on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with a stick. A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to read anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline batteries on DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking noise normal?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I tried it with a light, and the light works. But I can't get a read on it with a tester, though I can get a read on batteries with the tester when set to 20 volt range on the tester.

Guess the clanging and humming is normal.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve:

I have a feeling your meter (tester) is not working on AC. The actual movement of a meter works on DC only. So if you are measuring AC then it has to rectify the AC before it goes to the meter movement. I suggest you measure the AC outlet in your place, assuming the meter is capable to measure your house voltage to see if it is working properly.

The transformer may have some sections loose but otherwise may be working ok

Best Regards,

Ray R

Reply to
Rafael Ramos

Ah, I thought it was 12V DC but looking at other outdoor lighting, I think the norm is actually 12 V AC. Do you have an AC meter? You should see the voltage when you set it to AC.

Reply to
Curt Welch

"Rafael Ramos" wrote: in message news:ORjKh.10159$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Rafael, this was cross-posted to the metals newsgroup, and the threads there include information that isn't shown here. Steve mentioned that the "transformer" is labeled "12 volt DC Output," so your idea, while logical, has to be ruled out. However, it is baffling to have an ekectrical output that will light a bulb but not move a meter, UNLESS (this just occurred to me) the output which is SUPPOSED to be DC is actually AC. Steve, check the output with the AC setting. You could have a shorted rectifier bridge or something.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Actually, I ass-u-med that it was 12v. DC output because of the tail light style bulbs that come in the lights. On the label, it does not say 12V AC on the out, but merely 12V output. I put the meter on there on AC and it read 12.0.

Doh!

Everything is working, and I'll aim them tonight and bury the cables tomorrow when I know they're right.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote: Actually, I ass-u-med that it was 12v. DC (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Okay, Steve, your dunce cap will go out in tomorrow's mail. ;-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Okay, I admit it. I'm stupid sometimes.

The difference between being insane and being mentally ill is that when you are mentally ill, you know there's something wrong with you. When you are plain crazy, you haven't got a clue, and you argue that there's nothing wrong with you.

I'm human.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote: Okay, I admit it. I'm stupid sometimes. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hey, Steve, I hope you noticed the ;-). We're just kidding around here--I may never get an opportunity like this again, and I just couldn't resist. Just for that I'm keeping the dunce cap.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

That's okay. I got some hideous welding caps that are just as good.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

My grandson is four. The other day, I come around the corner, wearing a turquoise and yellow welding cap. I act nonchalant.

"What's that, Papa?" he asks.

"Where?"

"On your head."

Sez me, "A hat."