Photographing welding

I occasionally want to photograph some welding in progress. Mostly MIG, as it has a relatively small arc. Has anyone done this? Is there a danger to a digital camera that is set back about ten feet, but on zoom to keep away from the dingleberries? I'm guessing that it would be a manual mode with a high shutter speed and a small aperture.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ive had some success with using a lighter shade welding lanes in front of the camera....

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

I'd be wary of using it without a screen the high level of UV produced stands a chance of cooking the CCD worth checking the Digital forums for somebody doing similar. Derek

Reply to
Derek

The issue is mainly contrast. Start with a disposable film camera so even if it's destroyed the loss is minimal. The problem is that there is SO much light from the arc that you cannot see the puddle and the base material. The size of the arc being small is not that great advantage. If there is a gas cup around the MIG wire, it will limit the angles from which you can see what's going on. There will be a certain amount of smoke from MIG, FCAW or SMAW.

Commercially available welding textbooks (used at the community college level) do have good pictures that were staged for illustrative purposes. The weldor and photographer must cooperate in order to produce acceptable results. My copy was $40 purchased many years ago but it has beautiful color pictures, especially the TIG welding.

If you just want to take a picture of some bright light, that's easy. If you would like to capture what is actually happening at the puddle level, that's a challenge.

There is SO much light and radiati>I occasionally want to photograph some welding in progress. Mostly MIG, as

Reply to
Tom Kendrick