3 phase gen.

I rescued a lister 10 kw gen.from the dumpster. This has been stored for the last 15 plus years and I will bet that it was not used more than 20 hrs in the last 25 years. It has a 4 way 120 plug and a 240 volt 3 phase plug. The gen. label says it is a 3 phase. Is it possable to wire this for 220 single phase? I want to use this to power a small shop and for a backup to my house. Thank again kfen

Reply to
jkfenwick

[...]

Your 4 way 120 plug should supply normal house single phase, no?

You cannot get full power on single phase from a 3 phase generator, unless it is "reconnectable". But even if you get 2/3 of power, it is great.

Does the generator run?

Check out two places: alt.energy.homepower and smokstak.com's forums. I frequent smokstak's Onan forums because I have an old Onan generator.

They will help you to get it running.

Ignoramus32529

It runs perfect. I put the hoses in 5 gallons of diesel primed it and she fired right up. Battery is shot and the alternator is not charging. Pluged in a hair dryer in the 120 side and she ran fine.

Reply to
jkfenwick

Depending on the genset..you may simply be able to use 2 of the 3 legs on the 3ph output. Some dont mind running unbalanced, others do.

Now Id be happy to take it off your hands......

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I hope that the fuel went through the correct filters!

Sounds great!

Finding out output voltages should be straightforward. Put in a proper circuit breaker also.

Ignoramus32529

The charging system is likely holding back since the battery is dead. It might be in protection mode from hurting itself or over current.

Try replacing the battery and watch the alternator output. It might have a bad rectifier in it and killed the battery and thus the machine...

Martin

Mart> >>> I rescued a lister 10 kw gen.from the dumpster. This has been stored

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I would keep it as a 3 phase generator. Three phase power is better for many applications, and machines with 3 phase moters are usually cheaper than single phase machines. Most home shops can not use 3 phase machines. Used three phase motors are cheap so you can replace the single phase motors with three phase motors if you need to.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

wrote: I would keep it as a 3 phase generator. Three phase power is better

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Your reasoning is good as far as it goes, but consider also that running a home generator is far more expensive than buying from the utility. This is especially true if you leave your generator running when all you need is bursts of power Also, it is noisier, more polluting, and a pain in the ass if you have to start your genset each time you want to work in the shop.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman