plasma cutting conversion

is it possible to convert a squarewave inverter TIG (i have a ESAB 161) unit into a plasma cutting machine ??
thanks, k

Not without a suitable electronics and power supply design background and a good wad of money. The resulting quality will be less than what a commercially available product would be. If money is a concern, then try finding a used unit for sale. Tig supplies are low voltage, high amperage and plasma supplies are just the opposite--as one example of the differences.
-dseman

In article

Simply NO.
Too very different beasts.
The only company to ever make a plasma cutter that ran off of a stick welder was Powcon. It was called a Starcut. They still float around the used welding machine market. I know construction guys who loved them, but all the repair guys I know hate them with a great and powerful loathing.