Proper Viewing (help)

whats the proper way to view while TIG'ing. better to go dark and close up,
or further away while lighter on the shade? i find myself being real close
to the arc with a darker shade, but i dont think is good for my eyes as the
UV is very intense at that distance. but then again, if i view from a
further distance i find myself having a harder time watching the pool and
flow, especially while welding around circles in the vertical plane.
any advice??
Reply to
Kryptoknight
I am usually somewhere around 6 inchs. Just so I can see the pool a little. Thats a .40...tip....
Exception would be....junk steel 3/32 tungsten...then its further away
I finally got myself to quit using a circular motion, like I use when arc/mig, its more of a back and forth motion, for my tig.
xman
Reply to
xmradio
One thing that helps me out with seeing what's going on (I too am always too close to the work, don't feel alone.) Anyway, I got a decent set of reading magnifying glasses at Walgreen's for $12.00 and it makes a huge difference for me. And to make note- I have 20/20 vision uncorrected. They just really help.
All the best,
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.
Reply to
RDF
Since the lens will be blocking essentially 100% of the UV and IR regardless of the shade I don't think it makes any difference. Just get in as close as you need to to see comfortably and don't worry about it.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
I was taught to be comfortable there is no "wrong" way to look at a tig puddle as long as you dont throw your back out doing it
Comfort and visibility are tantamont I'm usually up around 12-18 inches but with my torch well out of my view of the puddle
in a T joint i think i leave the eelctrode out a bit too much but it works and i see what i'm doing well (and i increase my gas flow a bit)
But i'm a hobbyist so take my opinion as such
Reply to
Brent Philion