TIG current for welding steel tube?

Would someone kindly suggest a starting point current for welding seamless
1.25 inch OD, 18 gauge steel tubes together in a joint where 3 tubes come
together, the ends are all cut to sit snugly together, as in a race car
tube frame chassis? Thanks. I THINK it's T45 tube, but not sure, what is a
good choice for filler rod please? Thanks.
Reply to
Chris
Grind the tube and see what it looks likely to be made of, and then you will be able to think about what filler rod you are going to need.
Ken
i find this to be a tad high. welding .125" walled tube does not need 125amps, etc.
it also depends on IPM too. real fast and high current may work, but control goes down. i find it much easier to go slower on lower current.
i also find myself cranking up the amps when welding thick to thin items, like exhaust tubing to the header flange. i focus the heat into the thick part and allow the puddle to pool/flow into the thin material while feeding some tig filler.
i'm still a noob at TIG'ing, but this has been my experiences thus far.
Reply to
Kryptoknight
Chris,
You might find the following of interest - for $6.
It's a tig calculator with the following comments:
"Mister TIG?" says: "Every TIG Welder should have one of these in their tool box. The TIG Calculator takes the quess work out of setting up, giving you a better weld and saving time and material!"
and
"Ever found yourself wondering what the correct set-up is for a particular metal, weld type, material thickness, etc.? Now we offer a tool that works like a slide rule and solves all your set-up problems. Whether you are looking for the right amperage, tungsten, alloy or any of the variables that go into setting up for a successful weld operation, the TIG Calculator can help solve your question."
Reply to
Al Patrick
Useful item, but 12 bucks (including shipping) is ridiculous. This
seems more reasonable at $1.50 delivered.
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjk

Site Timeline