protecting exposed threads on torches?

Most torches I've owned have 9/16-18 threads for connection to the welding hose (RH for oxygen, LH for fuel). I recently bought a used torch which had little red plastic caps over the exposed 9/16" threads. I thought that was a great idea, protecting the threads. Anyone know where I can buy these little plastic caps designed to fit over torch threads?

GWE Seattle area

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Around here, while the caps DO protect the threads, the more important protection they provide is keeping out mud-wasps while the unit isn't threaded onto the hoses. Leave something with a roughly 1/8 to 1/2 inch hole in it undisturbed for more than a couple of days, and unless it's parked in an airtight compartment, you'll come back to find it packed full of what amounts to concrete - Pitch it and get a new one - unless you want to deal with ridiculous amounts of time trying (and almost certainly failing) to get all the mud out of it.

As far as sources for the caps... Take a wild guess, and/or ask your torch supplier/maker. You *MIGHT* be able to use something like that "tool-handle goop" - the red or blue plasticy/rubbery stuff that you can dip tool handles into to put a coating on them - and a sacrificial ('cause I've got no idea how well it'll come loose) piece to "make your own".

Reply to
Don Bruder

Go to your nearest tatoo joint and get some ink cups, they buy these by the thousands.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They're called "CapPlugs" in one brand name. They're commonly available in small quanitites from most plastics distributors who supply bulk plastic bags, shrink wrap, etc.

They're available in nominal o.d. and nominal i.d. shapes to fit almost any male or female fitting you can imagine -- all the way from 1/8" i.d. to 10" .

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

At the risk of being too obvious, I'd check my local welding supplier first.

When I get a 10 cu ft acetylene tank filled, it comes with a "CAPLUG EC-10" on it. I measured it, and it's 5/8". So maybe the "EC-10" stands for something like "external cap - 10/16". You might want an EC-9.....but that's just a guess.

Anyway, I'd say it's a fair bet that the welding gas supplier may have other sizes.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Reply to
JR North

LLoyd get a star for the Day......

is the place !!!

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

I know about caplugs.com - their minimum order is like 5000 pieces!! YOW!!

GWE

Never_Enough_Tools wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Heat Shrink tubing in any size between 5/8ths and 1" shrink to fit loosely around the end as opposed to fitting it tightly

Reply to
Brent Philion

Anyplace that does builds anything using hydraulic valves and components generates a pile of them. They come in EVERYTHING--pumps, valves, cylinders, etc. Isn't there a Spenser fluid power in your neck of the woods?

Plan #2--Go to the welding store and buy a set of left and right brass nuts for welding hose. get a couple of stems, connect with a short piece of chain or cable. More spendy up front, but will last several lifetimes.

Reply to
BILL MARRS

Ah, I have some ancient torch lead just dying to be cut up. That's about an excellent idea! I'm all over that.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm tellin ya the totoo joints buy ink cups from suppliers that buy them in qty. as...cap plugs. You can order from cap plug by the thousand or get them from a tatoo place by the handfull. They use a bunch of sizes. I can get them for you from a bud that supplies the tatoo industry in bags of 100.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, I'll give it a shot, but I don't normally GET to tattoo parlors in my daily life. I know Seattle's full of 'em, kids here seem to start in about 4th grade, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks, anyway.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Caplug is the easiest place to get samples from. They will drop a few in the mail for free, just ask. You can even email a request. Mcmaster carries some and even Lowes and Home Depot (cough, cough, blow%&**^) has some.

Reply to
tomcas

Just ask your mother where they are. :>)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Funny, Tom. I cut the nuts off some old torch lead today and got 2 nice sets of thread protectors out of the deal, tossed the old lead in the garbage and made more room in the shop. Win-win-win. Thanks to all.

BTW I did write a different company and requested some samples.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Could always call Victor for some - I bet they would help. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Drive the Welding guy nuts - ask for a custom hose - two nuts - on one short hose - one left, one right. :-)

Can't be used for anything else - and it can be useful.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

BILL MARRS wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

_Everyone_ in the Seattle area knows someone who works for Boeing..... Used by the billions for tubes, pipes, and all sorts of stuff. Most of them get tossed.

Reply to
carl mciver

Just buy extra nuts at a welding supply store. Screw them onto the exposed threads.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler