help with torch and gas choice

I've been lurking here and on alt.metalworking for a while now, and have a question I need help with. I'm looking to find out the most appropriate torch and gas to use for my tasks.

For the most part, I do ornamental metal work using 1" or less copper tube, thin copper plate, some brass, and mild steel (generally less than 1/4 inch rod and 1/8 inch plate.

I currently use a MIG machine for welding the steel, and a small cheap handheld propane/MAPP torch for soldering the copper. I am having a hard time soldering copper to steel when larger pieces are involved. I'd also like to use some aluminium and stainless steel in the art but haven't tried that yet.

Whatever I choose, I'd like to be able to run the torch off a 10' peice of hose to a larger tank than the little small ones.

My choices have been narrowed down to

1) buying a O/A rig and renting some tanks. Looks like at a minimum I'd be spending about $300. 2) Buying a TurboTorch LP-1 propane/air rig - would cost me about $200.
3) Buying a Rothenberger air/propane 3.100 torch rig for about $60. htttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7560648391&categor...

Will the Rothenberger and/or Turbo Torch get hot enough with propane or MAPP to join aluminium to copper and steel? Can I braze 1/8 steel with either of these?

Cost is a consideration, cutting capability is not.

Thanks,

Reply to
jack.stewart

Uniweld and others make small oxy-acet rigs , and they'll braze what you want in steel and copper . Never used one for aluminum , but they say it works on that too . Small tanks , and you own them , they're not rentals . They also have cutting heads available , though you said you're not interested in that aspect . Figure on spending around 300 for one , and it's worth it .

Reply to
Snag

...snip...

Do you really want that much hassle?

This one has the potential to make you happy. Running it on propane, I've silver soldered 5/8" mild steel round bar to 3/8" steel plate with no problem. Its a breeze to silver solder bandsaw blade ends with it. Have silver soldered 3/8" stainless steel round bar. Just some examples.

This torch looks like something sold in Europe under various brand names. I don't know who makes it or where it is made. Whether or not it will do the job for you, I guess one way to find out is to do a $60 experiment. Perhaps you ought to ask on the European news groups. Someone out there might be familiar with it.

Reply to
Speechless

Jack -

I'm doing somewhat the same - but not what you are doing. I got a Propane (33 gal) (propane supplier) (smaller bottles are just fine) I got a Victor medium welding gage / head set. The F (fuel screws into propane.) I rented a bottle of oxygen it screws in to the set. I then got the propane tip - holder and screw on front (different heats...). I braze steel to steel, bronze to steel and to copper and steel to copper.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@tys> I've been lurking here and on alt.metalworking for a while now, and

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the opinions. I ended up ordering a mid-priced torch similar to the Turbotorch from WeldingDepot.

jack

Reply to
jack.stewart