Re: Recommendation for beginning welder under $400...?

I am looking for a economy priced welder in the $200-$400 range that I can use

> to make some basic repairs to an automotive chassis I am repairing. I don't > need anything top of the line, but would like the best I could get for less > than $400. > > I have been looking on eBay, but there are so many different welders I don't > even know where to begin--so I tried finding some kind of online review source > for different welders, but came up dry there, too. > > I see Lincoln welders seem to be quite prevalent in this price range; is this a > good brand? I was thinking a MIG welder would be the way to go, as I have heard > they are best for the amateur hobbyist, but any recommendations or advice would > be greatly appreciated. > > I also see a few Craftsman's. Hobart Handler and Miller also come up, and are > usually at the higher end of that price spectrum (based on completed auctions.) > But then again, there are also an array of different models with different > features within each of these brands, so I am unsure as to what to even look > for. I will be welding mild steel--no aluminum, and don't have any special need > for a gasless model, should that make any difference in my case. I would like > to buy a used welder to save money and be able to recoup more of my losses > should I sell it, but I wouldn't know what to look for in a used welder, i.e. > what must be included, if parts were missing, etc, I wouldn't even know what it > should come with in order to be complete. > > BTW, what should I expect to pay for a decent helmet, as well as gas for the > welder? > > If I am asking too many novice questions, I apologize--perhaps somebody can > point me towards a FAQ or a review page for different welders. I have ordered a > book on welding today from Amazon, so hopefully that can help me through the > learning process a bit...I couldn't imagine it'll be TOO difficult as so many > hobbyists without any formal training are able to at least get a basic knack > for welding, if not a real skill for it.. > > -Sean

I'm going to second the suggestion that you look for a used welder- if you go for qood quality commercial stuff you can hardly go wrong, it tends to be tougher and you're more likely to locate consumables locally. Keep an eye open for a variable inductance mig- they have a bit more ability to be dialed to the job you're trying to do.

Learn a bunch about working on automobile frames before you start- it's not exactly rocket science but it's very possible and easy to make problems for yourself and others with a simple mistake.

John

Reply to
JohnM