Recomend Tig and Plasma cutter...

I'm looking to buy a Plasma cutter and a Tig welder. They can be seperate units, but combined would be ideal. I'm open to any quality brand other than Miller. (See my PS as to why)

I'd like the Plasma cutter to comfortably cut 1/4 inch stainless, regular steel and Aluminum. I'd like it to be able to sever 1/2" of all of the above.

I'm also looking for a Tig welder that can do 1/4 stainless and 3/8 Aluminum, but the vast majority of what I'll be welding is less than 1/8".

This is for serious hobby use, not a professional shop, given that I don't like to buy tools twice so I'm willing to spend up to 4K for the pair.

Does anyone make a good combination tig/plasma cutter?

I have a small miller wire feed MIG welder that works fine , but I aslo don't have infinite space so if I could get a unit that has wirefeed MIG,and TIG in the same unit that would be good as well.

The Ideal (I don't think it exists) unit would be one box with Plasma, Tig and Mig cables sticking out the front. and air, gas and power in the back. I can only use one at a time, so the unit can switch between modes. (I'm willing to switch gas bottles manually between Tig/Mig.)

Paul

P.S. Why not any miller products... I purchased a Miller Plasma cutter and had nothing but problems with it. It was advertised as a 115/220 volt unit, but anytime it was connected to

220 it would trip its protection circuit. (yes I had the input voltage switch set correctly.) When I tried to run it off of a 20Kw genset at 115V it would also trip off. (could be the generators problem with varing load, alas another cutter attached to the same gen set had no such problem)

I also found online refernces to the exact same problem more than two years prior to my purchase. I let miller know my dissatisfaction and they offered to repair it. Alas I never got around to it and I just donated it to a non-proffit group that will only use it on 115V.

Reply to
pbreed

Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter US $1,910 delivered:

LINCOLN PRECISION TIG 185 TIG WELDER W/CART k2347-2 US $1,767.87 delivered:

Keep the change!

Reply to
grassStain

Don't forget the air compressor to power the plasma cutter.

Reply to
Clif Holland

Hypertherm for the plasma cutter and Thermal Arc for the TIG.

Thermal arc 185TSW is the best bargain in the TIG world right now, at around $1650 complete. It is a compact inverter that costs about the same as the larger and heavier small transformer machines from Miller and Lincoln.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler