search for books concerning friction welding

Hello,

Can anyone recommend me a good book about the fundamental physical processes that occur during (rotational) friction welding ? I am in fact looking for a good reference where the processes involved in friction welding (or more general in solid phase welding) are explaned (I mean for example the influence of the deformation, or the diffusion on the properties of welds). We conducted a research project concerning friction welding of pipes, and I need to explane why certain welds show good mechanical properties and others don't.

Any comments or tips will be much appreciated !

Koen

Reply to
koen.faes.BIL

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... | Hello, | | Can anyone recommend me a good book about the fundamental physical | processes that occur during (rotational) friction welding ? | I am in fact looking for a good reference where the processes involved | in friction welding (or more general in solid phase welding) are | explaned (I mean for example the influence of the deformation, or the | diffusion on the properties of welds). | We conducted a research project concerning friction welding of pipes, | and I need to explane why certain welds show good mechanical properties | and others don't. | | Any comments or tips will be much appreciated ! | | Koen

Friction (stir) welding is pretty new to common usage, and a very pricey way to go, so I don't think there's many books out there since the market will be very small. I know Boeing has been doing a lot of R&D on the subject to make aerospace parts. No doubt very expensive, and you pretty much have to have a major cost savings or other benefits to invest in that kind of stuff. I've examined some of the welds during a demo of sorts and was highly impressed, but it's not without its drawbacks, not counting investment. Tends to leave a bit of a ridge along both sides of the weld that requires machining off, so that's another process. I did a quick google on friction stir welding and got a lot of good stuff, including several firms that engage in that process.

Reply to
carl mciver

I was in fact not talking about friction stir welding, but about the conventional continuous drive rotary friction welding. I have the impression that not much literature is available about this topic....

Greetings,

Koen

Reply to
koen.faes.BIL

Can anyone recommend me a good book about the fundamental physical processes that occur during (rotational) friction welding ? I am in fact looking for a good reference where the processes involved in friction welding (or more general in solid phase welding) are explaned (I mean for example the influence of the deformation, or the diffusion on the properties of welds). We conducted a research project concerning friction welding of pipes, and I need to explane why certain welds show good mechanical properties and others don't.

Any comments or tips will be much appreciated !

Koen

Reply to
R. Zimmerman