Sites for newbies ?

Can anyone recommend a site to give me any hints with MIG welding I've googled loads and checked

but can't seem to find any that show any REALLY bad welds (like the sort I'm producing at the moment) and the underlying cause ie loads of spatter, hardly any penetration = amps too low that sort of thing ? Any suggestions will be much appreciated Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

The owner's manual for many welders gives examples of good and bad welds and explains why they are that way. I don't know which welder you're using so I picked a low-cost one typically used by hobbyists that should be helpful, with example images starting on page B-16:

Also, the welder manufacturers offer tips and FAQs that can help greatly. I'd start with this one:

Then back up to here and pick another one that looks like it may be helpful:

If that doesn't work, this newsgroup is actually the best source for help but you'll need to provide more information first. What welder, what type of metal, MIG or flux-core, etc...

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks for that Richard, they're ideal and will give me something to go over for a while. I've actually got a SIP migmate (with gas) and the manual (if you can call it that) doesn't really go into much at all. The Lincoln site has a whole lot more on it Thanks again Jim

Reply to
Jim

If there is anything you want to know it is on Ernies site. Fill your boots.

Randy Zimmerman

Had a look over that lot last night and had another go with the MIG just now. I won't say I can weld but I can join 2 pieces of metal together and it doesn't look half bad ! A *MAJOR* improvement. I'll got and saw through the welds I've done in a little while and see how much better I am now. Thanks for the links Keith

Reply to
Jim

I think there's more than enough there to be getting on with ! I'll start cracking on that little lot tonight and find a load of relevant stuff Thanks Randy

Reply to
Jim

Glad to help!

I have another tip that may help...

An easy way to figure out your best wire speed is to start a weld on scrap with the gun in one hand and the speed knob in the other. As you weld run the speed up and down to find a point where you have the smoothest sound, kind of like bacon frying. I haven't used flux-core enough to notice but I've heard that it has a fairly wide "smooth band" while MIG has a narrow band so speed is more critical.