Spoolgun really eats tips...Normal?

Running a Miller 3035 spoolgun on a Millermatic Pulser Mig machine. Using .035 wire, argon at about 30scfh. Welding 1/8" wall box tube (1x1 and 1x2 mostly) Can't run a full spool (1 lb.)without the tip getting burned back on and clogged. I am running quite hot to get spray mode and adequate penetration, but I never had trouble like this with the spoolmate 3 on my

200, and we have far less trouble when running a spoolmatic 30Aon our 250.

I thought the Pulser was supposed to be the ideal thing for running Aluminum?

On the other spoolguns, the outer tube is adjustable, but the 3035 has the mouth of the outer tube only about 1/8" beyond the contact tube.

I'd love to get an XR gun, but nobody is gonna spring for this. What could I possibly do with this to make it better.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Increasing the stickout work for me. Once the tip starts to burn there is no stopping it. Possible an argon/helium mix less prone to burnback. I'm running a 210 with a 3035.

Reply to
John Dr

My 3035 eats them up like mad. I blame myself for the 99% of it on me but it does do it to others as well. Can they be cleaned up and out? I bet I have 50 of them in a box I'd love to salvage.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Trying longer stickout does seem to be helping, I also am coming to the conclusion the gun is underrated for our application, which given the genius that ordered the stuff without asking the end user for input, I'm not surprised. We should be using the 3545 since it has 50 amps greater capacity at the same duty cycle.

As far as tip salvage, yes, repeat no, ummm maybe... Usually the wire leaves behind stuff in the tube that seems to stick again as soon as it heats up, but sometimes, if I catch them early, I can file the face until it is clean, pull the wire out without breaking it off in the tip and then run a bit of steel mig wire of the same diameter through it to get rid of burrs. Sometimes I use a torch file to clean them too. This takes about 5 minutes from clog to ready to go again, and half the time the tip clogs again on the next weld.

Since I am doing this on the company's dime, it is more economical in most cases to toss a tip unless it is quite new and the wire pulls out without any trouble. A dozen tips cost the company less than an hour of my time.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton