Tungsten Help (very odd)

so i got myself some "blue" 2% tungsten in 1/16 and 3/32. i also got some mini diamond wheels for finishing my tungsten grinds down to a nice smoothe finish (link may not work, but the item is

. so i'm testing my 1/16" tunsgten. esab 161 set on DC 30amps, argon gas around 15cfh using medium gas cup, ground clamp on + and torch on -

i go to start a arc and as soon as the arc starts i get a propane torch effect coming out of the gas cup.

any ideas why this would occur? thanks

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Kinder like the grinder binder has contaminated the tungsten.

Reply to
sceptborg

Sounds like you got a Argon / Hydrogen gas mix by accident.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

due to contamination of the tungsten, or in my argon tank?? it never did this before and i've had this argon tank for awhile now.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

i sent ernie a email on this, this is really very very odd.

i reground my blue 2% lanthanated tungsten to eliminate contamination. same issue. i then try a gray tungsten and no issue.

i noticed that the arc was jumping out of the cup from where the collet holds the tungsten. this happens for 1-2 seconds then the arc jumps back to the tip of the tungsten. blue also seems to start harder than other types, the gray stries a arc immediately.

perhaps bad tungsten, letting off ignitable gases as it heats up? anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
Kryptoknight

can you describe how you ground them and how you were holding them.

Ignoramus2206

You've tried it with both tungstens, yes?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

nope, just 1/16" blue and gray. why??

Reply to
kryptoknight

Just diagnostic inquiry, I guess.

I thought that if it did it with both tungstens, it would more likely indicate a problem with all "blue" tungstens rather than the one that's in your torch. If it didn't happen with the other tungsten, then you might get the idea that it was perhaps a problem with the manufacture of that specific tungsten or the settings you're using for that specific tungsten.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

well, i tried 3/32 with a large cup and it starts with a funny arc but then stabilizes. i then tried a new 1/16 with small cup and increased flow from

20 to ~25cfh and this seems to have fixed my issue.

i'm not sure, but perhaps the HF start is skinning down the tungsten and when the arc starts it starts to skin and then stabilizes out the point. i guess its possible that the blow-torch effect was because of the larger cup not being fully purged by the time the arc starts so the non-inert gases from the air ignites......????

Reply to
Kryptoknight

... i forgot to mention. polishing the tungsten with this small diamond wheel works pretty well, it did not contaminate the tip.

Reply to
Kryptoknight