flash arrestor placement question

geniuses, I have a query. I have one acetylene flash arrestor that connects to the torch and the hose. I also have an oxygen flash arrestor that connects to the regulator and the hose. Will this still work okay? (bought them on eBay and didn't realize the oxygen was a regulator mount) I figured they would both stop back-flow no matter where they're mounted. Set me straight people. thanks,

Walt ps. wouldn't it be great to be as smart as Mr. Peabody instead of Sherman!

Reply to
wallster

I don't know if this is even the right answer but I have them on both ends. I have quick disconnects on the torch handle to swap entire handles from cutting to heating and figured if the hose burnt through on accident maybe it won't blow me through the wall. It may be overkill or even screwing up my rig but it was a $30.00 extra investment since I sort of have an inherent fear of explosive gasses. I never heard the "Killer Hiss" and both of the arrestor ends are carbon free are is the torch handles mixing chambers. To err to caution was my justification and now that I use my plasma cutter for 90% of my work the 10% is heating, cutting, bending, bla,bla,bla, but I don't want to die having overlooked a simple safety. Like the old saying. two rubbers are better than one when it's your dollar and your dick.

I'd be interested to know if I'm overkilling this or destroying my regulators by having two sets as well. Again to the experts - Help here too please.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

"wallster" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
RDF

Some people put them at both ends of the hoses. Extra arrestors tend to retrict flow a bit. It would be better if you had the arrestors at the torch or at the guages rather than one at the guage and one at the torch. These units do several things. They are check valves that prevent reverse flow as well as having a fine mesh screen that extinguishes the flame by quenching the fire. These devices are a backup to proper operation, shut down, and start up. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I have arresters at both ends of my hoses. I managed to find a number of brand new sets for damned little money ($10 for 6 sets)...and notice I have to set my regulator pressers about 5lbs higher than I did before. Not a big deal and I feel better.

Shrug...ymmv

Gunner

Gunner

Check valves (the most important factor) go at the torch end. Flash arrestors, whether small fixed ones (not very useful) or the big resettable ones go at the regulator end. There's no point in having a flash arrestor on the torch - "flash" is a combustion of mixed gas in the hose.

Why do you think your acetylene arrestor is intended to be torch mounted? What sort is it?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

the torch is less than a year old and has check valves in it.

arrestors are made by witt gasetechnik and the acetylene arrestor is made to be attched to the handle (female end is the direction of flow, it CANT be attached the regulator because the flow direction would be wrong and it would STOP flow) the oxy is a regulator configuration, (flow direction) I'll probably just get another regulator end acetylene arrestor and switch it. They're simply a backup for the check valves if they failed. (since the torch is a harbor freight unit, the flash arrestors make me feel better.)

walt ps you wrote: "There's no point in having a flash arrestor on the torch - "flash" is a combustion of mixed gas in the hose." I agree with you on this one (even though MANY sources think they should be at the torch end, in fact the new victor torches handles have them in it) but my concern would be if the hose got punctured or cut it would top at the regulators. There are no check valves in the regulators.

Reply to
wallster