Welding regulator question

I connected an oxygen regulator (Victor SR 450) to a cylinder. No hose is attached to the regulator. The high pressure gauge reads
fine. I turned in the adjust screw. The regulator "flutters" or "chatters" at high flow. Is there a problem?
Is there a better way to test a regulator for proper function without completely connecting a welding torch?
Thanks

Sounds like a broken regulator. It should be fixable.
Dev Null wrote:

The low pressure side is trying desperatly to bring the entire room up to the output pressure you set. You need a smaller space the pressurize, like the hoses with a torch on the end. This way you can test the regulator in a static (no-flow) and a dynamic (controlled-flow) condition. Someone may come up with make shift ways, but this is the most straight forward.
Dev Null wrote:

Bad or perhaps the Oxygen regulator isn't intended for high flow and so it isn't damped from vibrations in the line.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn