Burning up tunsten on stainless

Hi group,

I've been working on my shop getting it ready for my new metalworking machines and my welder. Right now my welder is at my bother-in-laws house and he is using it on some thin stainless sheet.

He just called and said he had started welding with it again after not using it for a week or so. He said he had not changed anything yet, now he is burning up the electodes.

Help, Any ideas about what is causing this?

It makes me nervous not having my baby (welder) here in my shop with me......

Jack

Reply to
jackK

He's using .062 tunsten and filler.

What would happen if he has run out of argon?

jackK wrote:

Reply to
jackK

I'd take it away.....

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Any chance he switched the polarity?

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Reply to
jackK

That's what I'm thinking..... he said, he didn't do anything different.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks, Jack

Keith Marshall wrote:

Reply to
jackK

Sounds like he is not using gas.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I recently had a similar problem..my gas line had gotten badly kinked..It finally dawned on me I wasnt hearing the post flow (my hearing is not good to begin with).

Gunner

Gunner

Thanks for all the responses,

He just got a new bottle of gas.

He told me he had not changed anything but, come to find out, he had switched it over to stick for a few days and when he changes it back to tig he started having problems.

Thanks again for all the replies, Jack

Reply to
jackK

So was he out of gas?

Gunner

Gunner

I never made it to his shop, he came by to get the manual for the sd180.

From talking to him it was either: he had the handle (dc+, dc-, ac) in the wrong position or, he forgot to push the little button on the front of the machine changing it from stick to tig operation mode.

Jack

Walking is highly over-rated.........

Reply to
jackK

Modern man makes tire tracks rather than footprints, in the sands of time.

Gunner

Gunner