Super Sawzall question for Ernie

Ernie, you use Super Sawzalls quite a bit, right? I just bought a 6528 SS off eBay to replace my Porter-Cable 738. How does Milwaukee support the blade ram and keep it from rotating? PC uses two round bushings for support, and for rotation uses two internal projections in the carrier tube fitting into slots in the ram.

My PC's had a lot of use (another eBay find two years ago) and the projections/slots are very worn out, and the two ram bushings are shot. Those silly little slots and ridges sure aren't very robust. The assembly that allows for orbiting in better models is also trashed.

What do you think of the SS design in general? The PC is powerful as hell, but rough to use and now worn out to the tune of about $40-50 in parts. I think the wobble shaft bearing design is similar, but no counterweight in the PC.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Super Sawzalls used a wobble-plate system to reciprocate the ram. The wobble-plate arms keep the ram from rotating.

It is an amazing system to watch work. I have rebuilt mine a few times. The wobble plate bearings can get damaged if you jam the ram into something immovable.

They cost about $9 each.

Super Sawzalls are the smoothest, least vibrating recip sdaws on he market, because every time the ram goes in or out, a counterweight goes the opposite direction.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks a lot.

GTO(John)