Tig Welding Aluminium With DC Only

Morning All,

I know that High Frequency AC is suggested when Tig welding Aluminium, but is it essential? Can Aluminium be Tig welded using a DC only machine, and if so, what are the specifics of the welding process? (E.g any special rods, gases, tools, etc etc). Any decent web links to help, guides etc

I'm looking to weld alloy, and a cheap DC only tig welder has come up on the local paper for decent money, i've never welded before but i'm looking to start learning very soon. I'm in the UK so we have 240v household supply if it makes any difference

Thanks for any and all help

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Matt - there has been discussion of running constant DC electrode-positive for Al weld. Recall some very detailed contributions from expreienced contributors. See eg.

RS.

Reply to
Richard Smith

I read the google posts, funny I always used straight polarity and

100% helium for shielding. The bead is dirty but the penetration is very deep.

Of course the only reason I used DC was no AC machine around.

Richard

AMW

Searching Google groups I saw one where said - concurring with what you say - used use TIG DCEN ("straight polarity", to use the twisted terminology) for Al in big thicknesses - where exact cleanliness becomes totally crucial to success, but reward on offer is very deep penetration. Can make no comment on this myself - never done it.

Note DCEN is penetrative on TIG; DCEP is penetrative MIG and stick.

Richard Smith

Richard Smith