Welding Device ID

I'm trying to identify an object that was photographed in the back of truck that appears to contain welding equipment. The object is a large metal ring, it may or may not be related to welding, but since several people suggested the connection, I thought I would check here to see if anyone recognized it. The ring can be seen on the site below, please scroll down to number 1473:

Thanks for taking a look.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

rope tensioner

Reply to
Tater

"Tater" wrote: rope tensioner ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a good answer for 1471. 1473 looks more like the ring that hangs over a cutting table in the kitchen, with utensils hanging from it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

That was my first guess too . Turns out it's part of an automated pipe welding machine .

Terry Coombs

Paul Bunyans c*ck ring, with added goodies to make Mrs Bunyan happy?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I hope that was of some help..... Jim

Reply to
Jimi

It's a pipe beveler band for a large pipe, and can be used to mount an automated bug welder. Looks like about a 36". The traveling carriage portion is held to the band by four little wheels with grooves in it. The band is held off the pipe with little round feet. It is clamped around a pipe, and then there is a hand cranked carriage that holds the cutting torch positioned to the right angle. When used as a bug band, the traveling portion is motorized. It usually holds a FCAW torch head, and has a plate about 1 square foot that the welder looks through. There are six control knobs to regulate speed and angle, as it changes with every pass. We used these to weld 36" caisson 1.5" wall thickness with the caisson in the vertical position, the weld in the horizontal 2g position. They are essential in getting a precision cut on two BIG pieces of pipe so they line up, and even though they work pretty good, and you can have a good operator, there's a lot of work, not to mention skill, to bevel two pieces of pipe, get a decent root, and get it all right on that big a piece of pipe. But hey, if you blow it, you just start over. It would take the better part of a day to bevel two ends, dress them, weld them out, and x ray them.

Looks like a lineup clamp sitting inside the band, but for a smaller diameter pipe.

Last thought, kind of a spendy piece of precision equipment to be tossed in a truck like that.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That was a great link, after a quick search I found a few more bevel band photos, thanks for helping to solve this one!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks for the further info, though I need some clarification on part of the band, the one in my photo has rods that stick out about an inch on both sides of the ring, it seems like they would interfere with an automated welder. The band used with the automated welder in this video doesn't have these rods:

How is the bevel band with the rods used with an automated welder? Does it use a different model of welder or is it not used with an automated system?

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It looks an awful lot like a pot/pan holder I saw hanging over a prep area in a restraunt kitchen.

It was hung from the cieling over the prep island on chains and had several pots and sautee skillets hung from it. The chef could simply reach up and grab the one he was after. Very handy from what I witnessed.

Reply to
Kerry

Boy, you gave me an idea. I've been wanting a pot rack for a long time. That one would look SO cool in a welder's kitchen. Maybe hang a sparker and a rod bag and some goggles on there for accoutrements. Probably cheaper than those other stainless steel ones, too.

Steve ;

Reply to
SteveB

Easy now...I know little of this welding stuff and equipment. I do some stick now and then. So after I read that it is some sort of automatic pipe welding device I felt kinda dumb. (but I bet it would work just fine. My father in law used to use his O/A set up to warm his coffee cup (and the toe of my boot as i held a part for him) every now and then so why not hang a striker, and a slag chipping hammer....heck we could design a welder's dream kitchen.

Reply to
Kerry

It's been awhile since I've heard that one (really bad with steel toes). Or the lunch bucket on the crane hook... Or the blue-ing on just about everything...

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The smell of diesel smoke at dawn ................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Put an O/A hose reel and torch in the kitchen too. O/A ought to brulee the creme brulee real fast...

Reply to
Pete C.

uh...pardon the pun but....now we're cookin'

Reply to
Kerry

In good restaurants all over the world, they have one of those cheap torches to sear the top of desserts, and other things. They also use them in food photography, which is an art in itself, using all manner of things to get a pretty picture, even if the food is still frozen on the inside.

But yeah, having one on a hose would make you look GOOD, and don't forget the full face shield for effect. Or you could wear a NEXGEN EQC autodark welding hood like the girls with big hair do on TV, whilst having an OA torch with only the acetylene on, and black boogers floating all through the air. Maybe even one of those old leather blacksmith aprons that smell like a well worn horse.

Strictly for effect, no cooking or welding value.

And be careful if you wear hair spray. Watch the flame, the overhead racks, AND the ceiling fans.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB