What is it? Set 419

The answers for this set will be posted on Friday as usual but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post any replies between now and then.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2425: football supporters portable stitching machine 2426: VDU cable joint 2427: adjustable horseshoe 2428: Curtain rail support 2429: geyser cleaner 2430: Meerkat exercise machine
Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

2426 Inline ferrite bead on a cable to control electromagnetic emissions.
Reply to
Dennis
2425 Guess: A tool for marking or engraving radial marks on a watchface. A changeable gear (top of the drawing, near Fig. 1) sets the angular spacing, with the pawls (S) doing the indexing. A marking or engraving tool (K) marks the workpiece with radial lines, activated by (L). Internal ratchet/pawl (D,H) makes different length lines periodically.

2427 Another guess: A portable press, but why the spring?... Because whatever is being pressed has a variable, unpredictable thickness. I'll guess something like leather. So this is to install grommets in leather harnesses.

2430 Some sort of > The answers for this set will be posted on Friday as usual but I'm not
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

2429 is a drain snake, for pulling out hair balls, and the like.
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Or stained bacterial/specimen slides. The mirrors below the specimen "plate" would allow light to reflect/shine from below, onto/through the specimen... a similar feature on old microscopes (I have one).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

2430 Looks like an antique instrument to measure the comparative optical density of chemical solutions to determine concentration. If that is what this is, a standard solution is placed on one side in a glass cylinder, and the unkown on the other, and the optical path lengths are adjusted until the transmission appears equal. The concentration is calculated from the ratio of path lengths. It could also be used to measure turbity of fine particle suspensions as in water quality.
Reply to
anorton
2428 looks like a siphon assembly for pulling liquid through the small pipe and spray it out the end of the larger pipe when air or another fluid flows through the larger pipe
Reply to
Peter Divergilio

2425) I could tell that the hooked arms were designed to engage a gear as a form of escapement even before I scrolled down to the patent drawing.

And the drawing shows in addition a coarser escapement between the plates.

however -- its actual function is a different matter. I would expect a flat wind-up spring in there somewhere, but it is not present (though some other things which are missing from the photographed item are present.)

It would appear that there is some kind of scribing tool which draws a line on the external gear.

It would also appear that there is a second bulbous handle to slide on the pivot controlling the external escapement -- or the original one can be slid off the primary shaft and not the secondary one.

At a guess, it might be a tool for holding a blank and filing gear teeth onto it, but I would need more drawings, a complete object to examine, or the full descriptive text in the patent to figure it out for sure.

2426) *Way* too little shown to be able to form a guess.

Are there two shafts, or just one passing through the central object.

Is the central object rigidly fixed to the shaft(s)? Could it be a simple free turning handle for thumb and finger gripping on a small crank?

Could at least one shaft be removed, and an old toy gun paper cap be placed in there, and the other smartly slapped onto it to detonate the cap? (If so, I would expect more vents from the inside to the outside.

Could it be a free-sliding weight on a shaft, used to impart momentum to the shaft and whatever it is attached to?

2427) Not sure what it is from, but it is some kind of spring loaded assembly where the arms can be pulled a fairly long distance as the spring compresses in comparison to the length of the spring.

It *might* have some kind of latch connected to the button in the center, so you could c*ck the arms apart, and then hit the button to power something sudden.

2428) Hard to be sure what it is made of. Part of it appears to be copper, based on the Verdi-gris on it, but the right hand arm appears to be wood, with a piece chipped out.

Some kind of scientific equipment from long ago perhaps.

Or -- part of something like a Hookah?

2429) Nasty looking thing.

Before I saw the close-up, I was thinking something like a "Chinese finger trap" used for pulling cables through conduit or the like.

But the close-up looks like something related to barbed wire, but designed to be pulled through a gap to act as a saw.

2430) Perhaps a scientific device for measuring relative humidity, if there are thermometers in the protected glass tubes. Each would be connected to the metal plate sticking out in front, one would be dry, and the other contain a fabric soaked in water, and both would be subjected to airflow, so the relative cooling from evaporation of the water would allow calculation of the relative humidity.

The knobs appear to be for adjusting the height of a relative reference line on each thermometer.

Not sure what locks into the base, however.

Two alternative possibilities:

a) Used for measuring differential pressure, with the tubes partially filled with mercury.

b) Bubble levels. Not sure why two in parallel, but it could be that.

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Not really fair to put up this number of serious puzzlers and then go out of town.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
2425 no clule 2426 very early inline filter drier? 2427 no clue. Adjustable horse shoe? 2428 decorative top for a bed post? 2429 garden aerator 2430 exercise machine for pixies

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2425 - is a Main-Spring winder for working on clocks. Could have used something like that a few times...
Reply to
Leon Fisk

This is correct, most people probably have several of these on their computer cords.

Reply to
Rob H.

This description is correct, it's called a colorimeter.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, this is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

The entire item is made of metal, I haven't yet found an answer for it.

Yes, it's made from barbed wire but it's not used in the manner of a saw. I wouldn't describe it as a tool, although I suppose an arguement could be made for it to fit into that category.

Probably not but sometimes it can't be helped. ;-) Three of this set have been answered so far, I won't be able to post the rest of the answers until Friday as usual.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." scribbled:

pressure relief valve

Reply to
usablevirus

usablevirus scribbled:

2428 - pressure relief valve
Reply to
usablevirus

Yes -- but the photo made me think of it as steel -- hot oil dipped to surface treat it for rust. A pity that it was not a gray cord instead of a black one. I might have spotted it then. (Or if the wire had shown some bend instead of appearing straight like steel rod. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Picking nits, 'to control *conducted* electromagnetic interference' is more accurate. These ferrites do almost nothing to control 'radiated' electromagnetic emissions.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think this one is an arm exerciser but I haven't been able to prove it or rule out that it's some type of tool.

Forgot to mention earlier that the colorimeter was tagged as a microscope with a price of $135, I figured that if it was really a microscope it would be worth more than that, but was almost certain it was misidentified. I found the answer and decided not to buy it, and when I went back a few days later to take some better photos it had been purchased by someone else.

Still not sure about two of them this week, answers for the other four can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.