What is it? Set 419

2428. It looks like lamp adapters/finials used on electric lamps. If the threads are 1/4-27 that would support this. Gas lamp piping also used this thread so the item may be from the gas lighting era too. I have no idea what the item is or was used for though. Art
Reply to
Artemus

I think 2428 is a hash pipe made into a belt buckle.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

That's pretty funny, it does look like a belt buckle, you might have nailed it.

Reply to
Rob H.

I agree. I didn't notice the small hole in the end of the leg of the T. Adding a screen into the "bowl" would be all that was needed for a hash pipe. Good call. Art

Reply to
Artemus

"Rob H." wrote

If in fact 2427 is an arm exerciser, it would have been called an iron shoe.. They are that shape and this probably could have been used in this fashion. But most of the iron shoes I have seen are much simpler and had just a spring across the two arms. But this does look like it has a very similar action. Judging by the age, style, etc., it would have been a high end model of an iron shoe if it was in fact an iron shoe. Perhaps it was an original model and they came out with the cheaper version later with just a spring across the two arms. These were quite common a hundred years ago and the cheap version were sold up to about 30 - 40 years ago. I remember seeing them in gyms as a kid.

Here is an old ad for one.

They were called an iron shoe because they resemble a horse shoe. I tried to find more info on them but this is an old item and they are just not out there any more. I did find a few folks who remember them and wanted to find them. Old ones are prized by collectors of strong man memorabilia.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thanks, I think that iron shoe is correct, this will be my answer until I see evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
Rob H.

shock absorber of some kind. The mechanism allows the force of the spring to increase faster than if it were simply in-line. Something like a tow-rope or chain might make use of it.

Reply to
Mark F