What is it? Set 419

2425)    I could tell that the hooked arms were designed to engage a     gear as a form of escapement even before I scrolled down to the     patent drawing.
    And the drawing shows in addition a coarser escapement between     the plates.
    however -- its actual function is a different matter. I would     expect a flat wind-up spring in there somewhere, but it is not     present (though some other things which are missing from the     photographed item are present.)
    It would appear that there is some kind of scribing tool which     draws a line on the external gear.
    It would also appear that there is a second bulbous handle to     slide on the pivot controlling the external escapement -- or the     original one can be slid off the primary shaft and not the     secondary one.
    At a guess, it might be a tool for holding a blank and filing     gear teeth onto it, but I would need more drawings, a complete     object to examine, or the full descriptive text in the patent to     figure it out for sure.
2426)    *Way* too little shown to be able to form a guess.
    Are there two shafts, or just one passing through the central     object.
    Is the central object rigidly fixed to the shaft(s)? Could it     be a simple free turning handle for thumb and finger gripping on     a small crank?
    Could at least one shaft be removed, and an old toy gun paper     cap be placed in there, and the other smartly slapped onto it to     detonate the cap? (If so, I would expect more vents from the     inside to the outside.
    Could it be a free-sliding weight on a shaft, used to impart     momentum to the shaft and whatever it is attached to?
2427)    Not sure what it is from, but it is some kind of spring loaded     assembly where the arms can be pulled a fairly long distance as     the spring compresses in comparison to the length of the spring.
    It *might* have some kind of latch connected to the button in     the center, so you could cock the arms apart, and then hit the     button to power something sudden.
2428)    Hard to be sure what it is made of. Part of it appears to be     copper, based on the Verdi-gris on it, but the right hand arm     appears to be wood, with a piece chipped out.
    Some kind of scientific equipment from long ago perhaps.
    Or -- part of something like a Hookah?
2429)    Nasty looking thing.
    Before I saw the close-up, I was thinking something like a     "Chinese finger trap" used for pulling cables through conduit or     the like.
    But the close-up looks like something related to barbed wire,     but designed to be pulled through a gap to act as a saw.
2430)    Perhaps a scientific device for measuring relative humidity, if     there are thermometers in the protected glass tubes. Each would     be connected to the metal plate sticking out in front, one would     be dry, and the other contain a fabric soaked in water, and both     would be subjected to airflow, so the relative cooling from     evaporation of the water would allow calculation of the relative     humidity.
    The knobs appear to be for adjusting the height of a relative     reference line on each thermometer.
    Not sure what locks into the base, however.
    Two alternative possibilities:
    a)    Used for measuring differential pressure, with the tubes         partially filled with mercury.
    b)    Bubble levels. Not sure why two in parallel, but it         could be that.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Not really fair to put up this number of serious puzzlers and then go out of town.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

The entire item is made of metal, I haven't yet found an answer for it.

Yes, it's made from barbed wire but it's not used in the manner of a saw. I wouldn't describe it as a tool, although I suppose an arguement could be made for it to fit into that category.

Probably not but sometimes it can't be helped. ;-) Three of this set have been answered so far, I won't be able to post the rest of the answers until Friday as usual.
Rob
2425 no clule 2426 very early inline filter drier? 2427 no clue. Adjustable horse shoe? 2428 decorative top for a bed post? 2429 garden aerator 2430 exercise machine for pixies
The answers for this set will be posted on Friday as usual but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post any replies between now and then.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 04:09:42 -0500

2425 - is a Main-Spring winder for working on clocks. Could have used something like that a few times...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Good answer, this is correct.