Welding fumes health concerns

Scum Fuck lawyers need to up the 'ante since that worm Cochran died. One less asshole f*ck on the planet. Why not get real job. I hate lawyers with all the passion in the world. I wish they found out what a hard day's work really was. I went to the Marines when some kids went to college on mommie and daddy's dime and then law school. When I got out I went to college and EARNED my engineering degree, started my OWN business. Fuck that two extra years learning how to cheat people. I'd rather die of welding fumes than having a book case of law books fall on me any day, at least I'd go happy and with dignity.

Fuck you very much,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL

(Roy- This was not to you, it's for the asshole original poster to read and f*ck himself to.)

Reply to
RDF

It would seem that there is some health concern over the toxic fumes released when welding. There are a number of dangerous effects that inhaling the fumes created from working with welding rods can cause. If you go to

there is more news and information on these problems as well as what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation provided for those who might have been affected by this. I hope this may be of some help.

kr0

Reply to
kr0

Reply to
RoyJ

O come on RDF lawyers can be alot of fun. Whats black and brown and looks good on a lawyer? A doberman. So all you need is a doberman to feel better about the system.Of corse poking large calibar holes in things works too.Wish I had seen that.

RDF wrote:

Reply to
MK1

Well said.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Well said by either a hypocritical or ignorant man, or both. 70% of all lawsuits are filed on behalf of businesses, and since I see that the poster has a business, that means the odds are he will be either suing someone or being sued by someone sooner or later. I wonder what he will say to the lawyer he hires when his ass is in a sling. Something like f*ck you. I doubt it, you can count on it that as soon as Mr. I hate lawyers needs one he'll be singing a different tune. Does anyone really believe that if this guy had his lungs destroyed by some company's negligently made product he'd let that slide? Or if he got arrested for a crime he didn't commit, do you think he'd go out and hire a lawyer? You bet your sweet bippy he would. As soon as it's him that gets hurt the first thing he'll do is go looking for a lawyer. I've seen it time after time, guys like him hate lawyers until they are in legal trouble then they start backpedaling on that idea the minute they need one. That's what they call hypocrisy.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Well, When I pop over a nitro engine I wear a full face respirator. I forbid entry into my work area via locking doors. I have signs all over my shop for respirator/hearing protection as a caveat to save my butt (Like it would do any good) I have insanely priced insurance. I spent six years as a cop and I saw the people who needed help get screwed by the system and the ones with $$ skate. I needed a good divorce lawyer who was worth his weight in turds. I found out the hard way. I dated a lawyer and I wound up hating her after two weeks. The work I do is highly open to litigation. I have an attorney on retainer whom I throw a lot of money at for mostly nothing. If I got arrested for a crime I did not commit I'm Caucasian in Chicago so that is unlikely (Not to sound bigoted but the stats speak for themselves)

Pal, I earned the right to formulate my opinion. I steadfastly stand by it.

So, welcome to the First Amendment pal. If you want to call me ignorant feel free to meet up with me. I'll be glad to show you a misdemeanor beating and I won't even need an attorney other than the over priced wiener I have on retainer.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

With all due respect, hypocrisy? How is it hypocritical to dislike something that should not be necessary but is?

There's neither need nor requirement to love something that is necessary to one's survival, personal or business. I suspect RDF dislikes both the necessity for having insurance and lawyers and the practitioners that have made and reinforced that necessity, but has little or no choice whether to use them. (If he wants to stay in business anyway.)

Honest companies would, ideally, both make their products harmless or as nearly so as possible and would take responsibility if they err. Some danger is inescapable and products should be so labeled, with instructions how to minimize users' risk.

Honest people would refrain from litigating for harm when it is actually minimal and may well have been due to their own error or carelessness.

Litigation history strongly suggests there are all too few of either. So lawyers are necessary, if not evils, costs. Insurance companies have, IMDE, refused minimal settlements claimants requested only to end paying far more by forcing claimants to seek redress in the courts, using, of course, lawyers.

It's not so one-sided as to make hypocritical using something disliked but necessary.

Reply to
John Husvar

Thank you !! You nailed it !!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Are you a welder? You don't sound like one. You sound (nothing personal) like the tool of a lawyer, one way or another. Crying about businessfolks, crying about "some company's negligently made product".. You sound like the original poster, actually. Why don't you be useful to the world and start up a business making non-negligently-made welding rod? You'd be amazed at the money you'd make.. And look at the good you'd do in the world; people would like you, children and dogs would follow you everywhere and you'd put a liability lawyer out of business.

But you know what? There's some stuff in the world that is inherently dangerous and it's my opinion that some lawyer type that goes trolling for business where folks who use that sort of stuff are likely to hang out is plain and simple inept. If he was worth anything would he have to advertise his services on a usenet group that's not related to his business?

My dog bit a lawyer once.. He told me about it and I told him "well, whatever you were doing when he bit you, don't do it any more". He got a little pissed but he really needed me so he made friends with the dog. Fairly decent guy, all in all, but slippery as hell- all the time wanting to renegotiate his bill. *Hated* liability lawyers, said they're generally the least competent of all.

Geez, I like that old dog.

John

Reply to
JohnM

"JohnM" wrote

Why don't you be useful to

Years ago, Lincoln sent out a notice about their rods that had been getting some flak.

It seems that there was arsenic in it, but it was "within acceptable limits." Bulletins proliferated at jobsites and welding supply houses for about six months.

That's like "this won't hurt much".

"Barely" pregnant.

Hardly "any" radiation.

Well ........... you know .............

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I always enjoyed the concept from the following book:

"The Dosadi Experiment" and related tales all feature a character called McKie, an agent for the Bureau of Sabotage, whose function is to obstruct other agencies of government, lest they trample the liberties of the galaxy. This delightful conceit gets a real test when McKie discovers who really launched Dosadi, and what its secret masters gained. The book climaxes in a bravura trial under Gowachin Law. The frog-people are obsessed with law, but their forms and procedures are quite the opposite of those in contemporary America. The whole purpose and premise of legal practice is the avoidance of litigation. If a tort must be tried, the event takes place in a Court-Arena, and the losing lawyer is executed by the winner. This system ensures that only life-or-death issues reach trial. It also guarantees that lawyers remain few.

The Dosadi Experiment

by Frank Herbert

Reply to
Dewell

Yeah, and offset printing fountain solution has cyanide in it, or at least it did when I did printing.

Perhaps the bullitins disappeared becuase they cut out the arsenic?

Good work practices, that's the best thing. Don't breath smoke you're making, don't lick your fingers after handling funky green stuff, etc.

John

Reply to
JohnM

I've not read that yet, have to look it up. Herbert has the ability to write something I really like (his collaboration in the Pandora books) and something I really dislike (Dune, dune etc., more dune, more dune part 3..) Couldn't hack Dune at all.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Yes hypocrisy! When you rail against something and they turn around and go do business with what you just derided, that is hypocrisy. When Jimmy Swaggart preaches against immoratlity and is found in the company of prositutes that's hypocrisy. You don't talk about how bad lawyers are and then go out and hire them when you're in trouble. If you hate them so much you eschew them.

I'm sure he dislikes lots of things about doing business in the U.S. and would rather have the kind of regulations they had in Estonia when it was part of the Soviet Union. There are lots of things about doing business we don't particularly like but the bad comes along with the good. I've just heard so much bellyaching about lawyers from people who run out and hire them as soon as they are in trouble.

That's the way it is in Perfect.

Sure, but what about all the dishonest Americans?

So the system isn't infallable, so what?

It is when you make such a big deal about how awful lawyers are and then use their services when it suits you. At least it is in my opinion.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Good for you. I stand by mine too.

I don't have to call you ignorant, you've demonstrated that all by yourself. Since I live in California and will most likely never be in Chicago I'm sure I'll never have the displeasure of meeting with you. And as for you showing me a beating of any sort that's a laugh and highly unlikely, especially since you wouldn't have any of your cop buddies to help you out. In my experience, the kind of people that make threats rarely have what it takes to carry them out. I'm sure that applies to you. Besides, I can take care of myself very well, thanks, so threats from you don't mean a thing to me.

By the way, threatening someone with bodily harm is a crime as well as a tort, which you should know. What if I sued you? Would you use an attorney to defend yourself? You know you would, which makes you a hypocrite, like I said in the first place. You just don't like the fact that the truth hurts. Tough.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Off to Barnes & Noble, Sounds like a good read.... Oh, For Mr. Democrat. I took three rounds in the chest during my service. Did you have the balls to enlist and serve? I would guess not. I did not sue anyone. I take extreme precautions in my dyno room such as a nomex racing suit and face cover with a full face respirator. I broke my back at work did I sue anyone, NO. I took my licks like a man but I had the foresight to insure myself and protect against such an incident and this was before being self employed. I'll be in CA. Long Beach setting up a clients new powerplant. 6/10 Stop by the speedway in Pomona. Just look for the 6'6" guy wearing my company shirt. We will be running my top alcohol dragster. We can "talk" this through. Yea, I'll be there with cop buddies who crew for me but I think you took this a bit too literal. Since I have a worm on retainer I'm covered. If you gotta keep this thread up you need to get to the shop and lay down a bead or two dude. I'll buy you a beer and call it a truce.

Mr. Hawke, Enjoy the liberal state, we just have a shorter fuse in the Midwest.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Oh, For Mr. Democrat. I took three rounds in the chest during my service. Did you have the balls to enlist and serve? I would guess not.

I guess you're referring to me, but you're mistaken if you think I'm a Democrat based on the fact that I disagreed with you about lawyers. I'm not, and no, I'm not about to "enlist and serve", I'm too old. The government had their crack at me during the Vietnam War, and they missed. Besides, I would never serve in an unjust and/or illegal war like the one in Iraq. I learned that lesson during the 70s, unfortunately our current commander didn't. I also think you're wrong in implying I don't have the guts you do. Maybe I do and maybe I don't but you have no way of knowing that. That would be like me thinking that you were just stupid for getting yourself shot instead of that you must have a lot of balls. I don't know which it was any more than you know anything about me. You're made an assumption based on nothing. You do know what they say about people that assume?

I did not sue anyone. I take extreme

Glad to hear it, but was it someone else's negligence that caused your injury? Even though I see the necessity and benefit of attorneys I don't agree with people abusing the right to sue. If you haven't been legitimately damaged by someone or some corporation you have no business suing. On that I think we can agree. If you are really hurt by someone eles's negligence suing for damages seems fair too. Wouldn't you agree?

I'll be in CA. Long Beach setting up a clients new powerplant. 6/10 Stop by the

Maybe I did. Maybe I'm a little like you. The older I get the more I find I have little patience with anyone that I think is giving me shit. I may be a little weird but I have a rule I try to live by; I don't give other people shit and I don't take any either. So if I over reacted a little bit to your rant about lawyers I would say that was my mistake.

I moved from Southern California to the northern part of the state 13 years ago and vowed never to return, so I won't be seeing you at the drags, although I would probably enjoy it if I could be there.

Since I have a worm on retainer I'm covered. If you gotta

Well, for your information, I was born in Chicago Heights, are you familiar with that hole, so I guess I'm a Midwesterner too. But we have short fuses out here too, me particularly (at times to my detriment). But if you're for toning down the rhetoric a few notches I am too. Sometimes I have been known to get a little touchy.

Oh, and I don't particularly love lawyers either. My only point was that with great frequency I hear the lawyer complaints and I don't agree with them most of the time. I was trained in college to be a paralegal; so I have some experience with lawyers and I have found many of them to be good people, but there are some bad ones too. I just think it's wrong to lump them all together and rip them apart when the truth is it's usually the legal system that's at fault. My other beef is with hypocritical people. I'm sure you know some yourself. As I said before, I think it is hypocritical to run to an attorney when you need one after calling them every name in the book. I'm not saying you did that but that is what a lot of people do. OK?

I'd much rather be discussing welding anyway. I'm new to all this and am trying to learn a skill that I have recently gained a lot more respect for. I have recently learned its intricacies and mastery are a lot more difficult than I once thought. Meaning I'm learning how to weld and so far I'm lousy at it, it's hard! From here on I'll try to keep the topic to welding 8-). How about you?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I read the above book a long long time ago, and seem to remember it was OK but I seem to recall it being flakey. Amazon has a review (pasted below). There are definitely much better science fiction books than the dosadi experiment. I liked Dune a lot, but the series should have stopped at one.

amazon review: (paste):

Frank Herbert deserves his rep as one of the greatest science fiction writers. Dune, his most popular book (with 2 film adaptations) is an incredible epic. This book, however, is something that has stuck with me and improved with every reading. It a superior work in a lot of ways.

Some spoiler-free background:

Like a James Bond in the future, 500-year-old Jorge McKie is an agent for the government. The government in question is the ConSentiency: an amalgam of all sentient races in the galaxy worknig to keep the peace. This alone is an incredibly difficult prospect, for surly a race with a different biology and a different culture would come up with a different set of laws. How could such a thing as a ConSentiency exist? Making things more difficult are two relatively new uphevals: 1> that stars are sentent beings, and 2> stars themselves allow instant travel from place to place in the galaxy.

And now, as our story starts, the uneasy peace is threatened by an experiment: 200 years previously, a race of aliens has created Dosadi: a poison planet inhabited with kidnapped humans and aliens who have had their memories erased and been dumped on the planet to fend for themselves. How will they survive when cut off from the rest of the galaxy and not given enough resources?

The makers of Dosadi hope to learn how to improve their own race, but their creation becomes something else entirely. It is horror enough that this world exists, but what to do with the experiment? McKie, with the fate of the entire planet in his hands, is ordered to visit the planet and discover for himself.

All of this is revealed in the first few chapters, and I won't go into any more plot detail. The beauty of this book, though, is the extremes of the ConSentiency and Dosadi; and the truly alien nature of the aliens. Herbert fills the ConSentiency and Dosadi with many layers of meaning that unpeel before the readers eyes. McKie is a character who has dedicated his life to reaching for the alien shore (his expertise is in alien law and ethics). When McKie travels to Dosadi, he will find how life-altering his vocation can be.

I'd also like to add that few authors could write a book that includes a courtroom drama so completly alien and so compelling.

This is a wonderful book. Some passages ring so piercingly that you just have to put the book down and absorb them. Dosadi is an unpleasant world, to be sure, but it works as a nice stand-in for our own. And there are a ton of ethical questions abounding in this book, not that Frank is one to hit you over the head with them. For in addition to all of the philosophy and metaphysics, it is a ripping good yarn.

Note: "The Dosadi Experiment" takes place in the same universe as "The Whipping Star" and "The Artful Saboteaur", but it is NOT a sequal and it can be read on its own.

Enjoy!

/end paste

Reply to
Dewell

Cool, thanks. I'll look it up the next time the wife wants to go to the used bookstore.

John

Reply to
JohnM