Welding steel that has aluminum cast around it?

This one is stumping me. I really don't want to ruin anything. The machine is an engraving machine. The part is an aluminum casting with
steel strips cast into it. These strips are about 2 inches long and 3/16" wide. I don't know how far they go into the casting. These steel strips are ground and a single ball bearing rolls on each one. There is damage in the form of dents on these steel strips. A call to the maker of the machines had never seen this type of damage and they are at a loss on how to repair it. JB Weld and TIG welding were both suggested. I know JB Weld would be too soft. But I'm afraid that welding on the steel might cause the steel to shrink away from the aluminum. Any suggestions? Thanks, Eric R Snow
This might be completely unrealistic, but could you perhaps grind down the whole surface, aluminum and all, to restore it to flatness?
Without seeing it I imagine there is a 99% chance that it isn't possible :)
Eric R Snow wrote:

Yup. Mill away the dents and inlay a piece of tool steel, secured with superglue. Unless you have heat around, should hold indefinitely. Or just put a thin piece of tool steel over the whole steel part, as you advised me to do recently to my abrasive cutoff saw body.
Grant
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:47:02 -0800, Grant Erwin

WHAT!!?? You want me to take my own advice? Thanks, Eric
TIG brazing might be a good bet. It should be the least amount of heat for the best bearing ability. TIGing with steel filler might shrink the steel inserts and loosen them. I would also worry about creating hard spots with steel TIG due to the quick quench.
You might also look at Lab Metal and see if it can be used in a thin section to meet your needs.
Cheers,
Kelley

I am thinking either steel epoxy putty or making up new rail surfaces from thin steel sheet and epoxying them over the old rails.