Welding steel that has aluminum cast around it?

This one is stumping me. I really don't want to ruin anything. The machine is an engraving machine. The part is an aluminum casting with steel strips cast into it. These strips are about 2 inches long and

3/16" wide. I don't know how far they go into the casting. These steel strips are ground and a single ball bearing rolls on each one. There is damage in the form of dents on these steel strips. A call to the maker of the machines had never seen this type of damage and they are at a loss on how to repair it. JB Weld and TIG welding were both suggested. I know JB Weld would be too soft. But I'm afraid that welding on the steel might cause the steel to shrink away from the aluminum. Any suggestions? Thanks, Eric R Snow
Reply to
Eric R Snow

This might be completely unrealistic, but could you perhaps grind down the whole surface, aluminum and all, to restore it to flatness?

Without seeing it I imagine there is a 99% chance that it isn't possible :)

Reply to
runch

Yup. Mill away the dents and inlay a piece of tool steel, secured with superglue. Unless you have heat around, should hold indefinitely. Or just put a thin piece of tool steel over the whole steel part, as you advised me to do recently to my abrasive cutoff saw body.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

TIG brazing might be a good bet. It should be the least amount of heat for the best bearing ability. TIGing with steel filler might shrink the steel inserts and loosen them. I would also worry about creating hard spots with steel TIG due to the quick quench.

You might also look at Lab Metal and see if it can be used in a thin section to meet your needs.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

I am thinking either steel epoxy putty or making up new rail surfaces from thin steel sheet and epoxying them over the old rails.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

WHAT!!?? You want me to take my own advice? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow