What type of welder to buy?

Here are my needs. I own a Bobcat - doing repairs to bucket, teeth, trailer, and general make shift attachments. (all steel) I was thinking the Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 stick welder.

Here is my problem. I have some aluminum from a machine shop that closed and I would like to play around with different ideas. I would like to keep the welder cost below $1000.00. Am I screwed?

What are thoughts on a Mig for my justified needs and how well do they work for aluminum.

Thank you in advance. Shawn Donahue

Reply to
Shawn

You can simply add a Miller 15A Spoolgun to your Bobcat to MIG aluminum. Great gun, and really easy to set up and use. They are running about $675 from B&R welding supply on eBay.

If you want to run Aluminum for under $1000 in your shop without using the Bobcat, then get a cheap DC stick welder and a Readywelder spoolgun.

They look odd, but I have owned one for about a year now , and the darn thing kicks ass.

I run mine off my Maxstar 200DX TIG inverter.

Either way you will have to get a bottle of Argon for aluminum, and if you feel like MIG welding steel with either gun you will need a bottle of C25.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

These are good machines:

Better duty cycle and more current if you need it. It has HF, gas control, and foot pedal receptacle for tig. Others have used the ReadyWelder spoolgun with much success. He could weld Al with the ReadyWelder and a CC power supply, right guys?

The description didn't say single or 3 phase. The one we have at school is single. I learned to tig Al on it.

Good luck!

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Here's another with leads and running gear:

John L. Weatherly

"John L. Weatherly" wrote in news:C0r%a.2616$Q snipped-for-privacy@fe03.atl.webusenet.com:

Yeah, you can really purchase some nice used welding sources these days. Unfortunately a lot of first time welders/purchasers don't have a clue as to what their looking at in an older machine, and are shy about purchasing one. An older machine like this that still works, has years of service still left in it, and not much can/will go wrong with a older transformer/rectifier machine like this. The older Miller you linked to, have so much more value/quality than purchasing a brand new buzz box of any make, yet they can be purchased for less quite frequently. These old Millers are Excellent Tig, and SMAW machines, at $300 there is no comparison. The second link you provided, that machine looks to be in excellent shape and has been taken good care of. These are nice CC DC/AC output machines, most of these that I have used were single phase machines, don't know if all of them were though.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

by bobcat I believe he meant skid loader not a bobcat welder/generator. Do to budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been extingushed, fixture removed, sold, tunnel closed all environmentals cut and affected personel have been reassigned/ terminated. MANAGEMENT

Reply to
JDABREEZE

No confusion for me. I know that you can't weld with a Bobcat skid steer loader, and you can't pick up dirt with a Bobcat welder. You can't fool me. I've been to collage.

;-)

Steve, who just turned in a Cat skid steer loader after working it for two days. Love the joysticks over the levers and pedals.

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Here is a machine I found on Ebay for $399. I had to drive to pick it up but that was only 30 miles

dam machine welds great, and it never works hard for the stuff i do. I also have a Lincoln weldpak 155 theat I picked up for $200. The thing with used stuff is take your time and know what is a good deal.

Reply to
wayne

Kruppt, You hit the nail on the head when you said that newer welders don't know enough about the older machines. I'd like to get a TIG welder with aluminum capabilities, and use it for stick too (moot point, since all the TIG welders I know anything about can do stick). A lincoln squarewave 175 would work for me, but its $1400 or so. We've got this big miller aerowave (I think) at work we use for fixing "oops" in aluminum molds. Thats a sweet machine, but WAY outta my price range! :)

John

Reply to
John Thompson

snipped-for-privacy@makowicki.com (wayne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yeah, that's a Very nice machine and an excellent purchase.(IdealArc 300) Another fine work horse of a machine. CC AC/DC output with the trimmings. Nice TIG and SMAW machine, at $399 this kind of machine is a steal for that kind of money. All you need to do is blow it out with compressed air, clean the connection points, and blow out the fan motor and check the fan bearings, maybe lube some items, and that puppy is good for the long haul. These types of machines will run an air-arc with 1/4" carbon electrode very nicely also.(the Miller shown earlier in the thread will also) You'll probably be able to pass this kind of machine down to your kids after you have passed on, that's how well built these kind of machines are.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

You did very well, Wayne! I'll give ya' $500 if you deliver it to SW Florida! :)

Your self-built welder looks pretty nifty too! Keep up the good work!

Jack

Reply to
Jack