I finally got a engine driven welder

Guys,

Need a little feedback here....

I picked up a good running Miller AEAD-200 welder for $650.00 It's being delivered tomorrow night. Complete with manuals, 100' of leads and a remote fuel tank. and manuals for both the welder and the engine. Seems fair to me but I know dick about gas units. Heck, I never even used one. Planned on using it mostly at the track as a generator and to power my other gear in the field. (I'm going to get a utility truck or build a trailer for it.)

Do any of you have history with this machine? It's used but not tortured. I was just fishing to see if I paid an honest price. it's from a retired guy who has several from a fleet he retired from and is selling off the business.

I also got a 225 NT Bobcat with a blown motor bit all the parts needed to repair it are there, new in the boxes from Onan but they never rebuilt it for $300.00 maybe a few missing parts but it sounds like a good project.

Your thoughts?

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

I fixed a electric generator with an Onan DJE engine, it was fun. Onan parts are very expensive, but sometimes alternatives are available.

Ignoramus18731

I think I lucked out on the one in pieces. The seller told me he has the piston, connecting rod, bearings and a pile of other parts included to rebuild it. Hopefully it's just my labor and a few bucks for odds & ends. Time will tell.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Reply to
wayne mak

I got the Legend running good and strong, had to scavenge a few parts to make it right and it's really a good runner. As far as the Bobcat 225 it is all there but I just don't have time to put into it right now. I am going to sell it for what I paid for it. ($300.00) I started tinkering around with it and got the motor torn down and accounted for 99% of the parts but the Onan engine is like a dammed nightmare to work on. I spent three hours trying to get the timing gears installed. Total frustration for someone who never worked on a Onan before without a service manual. Anyone want a project? I'll offer it up here before E-bay. I'd even take a trade of something interesting. It's all there as far as I can tell. Just needs some TLC and patience (which I definitely lack). I can see why repair shops toss the entire welder if the engine dies. The parts that the original owner has have a receipt for $450.00 for the piston, rod, rings and bearings. All the parts go with it of course. I just don't need two. Heck, I don't even really need the Legend but it's making a great backup generator for the sumps in the house and the power in my new neighborhood has been knocked out a few times and now the "buddy jobs" like a fence repair are now possible.

Have a good one guys,