whats the easiest way to get off rust?

besides grinding (noisy!)what's the easiest way?

is there some liquid I can soak my salvage metal in so I can weld/solder braze?

sand blasting is out too,I got enough bulky equipment to hide from the wife!

Peter

Reply to
Peterthinking

A knotted wire wheel cup brush on your angle grinder works well. The rust flys off so wear a dust mask. A good wheel runs from ten to twenty Canadian depending on size and quality.

is there some liquid I can soak my salvage metal in so I can weld/solder braze?

sand blasting is out too,I got enough bulky equipment to hide from the wife!

Peter

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Muriatic acid: fast, easy, cheap. Get it at Home Depot; use it outside (!); rinse _really_ well; oil immediately. See archives (here and RCM) for more info.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks, Bob. I got about 1,000 feet of rusty stuff that I need to start cutting and fabricating today. Will try it, as I have two gallons left over from a pool acid wash.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

If it's not too long and skinny, a good way to do it is in a piece of PVC pipe, with one end capped. I didn't mention in the other post that you should immerse the rusty object in the acid. I'm getting the feeling that you're thinking of painting or spraying it on. It might work, but will take repeated applications (perhaps many).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yes, there is and it is called Electrolytic derusting .

Hope the links work!!!

Reply to
Dixon Ranch

Yes, there is and it is called Electrolytic derusting .

Hope the links work!!!

also

to budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been extingushed, fixture removed, sold, tunnel closed all environmentals cut and affected personel have been reassigned/ terminated. MANAGEMENT

Reply to
JDABREEZE

Yep...

Everything of mine is ....she's reading over my shoulder....can't talk now...

Peter

Reply to
Peterthinking

I think this is what Naval Jelly is designed to do. It is mostly phosphoric acid, and it dissolves the rust and leaves a protective phosphate coating afterwards. Never used it, but that's the theory as I understand it.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

My wife likes bulky equipment, Brought home a new Craftsman tool box the other day. She just thought I need one.

Reply to
Jimmy

Reply to
R. Deepu

How bout those rust converters? What are those really made of?

Bruce Simps>

Reply to
Jefferson O. Siy

Reply to