Tiny URL to the dropbox
http://tinyurl.com/8gt5c2

Re: Bridgeport Mill - adjusting backlash

    And a waste of time uploading because the dropbox automatically
rejects ".doc" files because of the possibility of macro viruses.  If
you want to put everything in a single file instead of simply uploading
a bunch of files which start the same, print it into a ".pdf" file
instead.

    And also -- be warned that your file name *will* be modified
automatically because of the serious pain that embedded spaces in
filenames can be on some systems.  (Not everybody runs Windows, or even
a GUI file manager -- so the spaces in the names are replaced with
underscores '_', so the name will look like this instead:

Bridgeport_Milling_Machine_-_Splitting_the_feed_screw_nuts_and_adjusting_backlash.doc

    In particular -- the "_-_" looks ugly, and would be better as
"-" instead.

    Why not try for a shorter filename while you are about it, such
as:

    Bridgeport-Splitting-feed-nuts.pdf

    Thanks for trying.

    Enjoy,
        DoN.

Re: Bridgeport Mill - adjusting backlash

I was surprised, Steve Stallings (owner of the drop box?) reformatted
it to pdf and sent me an email telling me that he did it.  It looks
better than the pdf file I had created last night  which trashed the
formatting in the original word document.  I had intended to upload it
last night  as a pdf rather than as a doc file, but the pdf formatting
wouldn't work right yesterday.

I did take Don's suggestions (we exchanged a couple of messages off
line today).  I reworked parts of the text and formatting so my pdf
printer driver would create it correctly.  It reads better now.  I
emailed Steve with an updated file listed as
Bridgeport-nut-splitting-&-backlash.pdf

RWL

Re: Bridgeport Mill - adjusting backlash

    [ ... ]

    Great!  And just after a weekend spent at Cabin Fever, too.

    Not visible yet -- and the '&' is a nasty character in some
operating systems.  In unix it means "this is the end of the first
command, to be run in the background, and what follows (if anything) ia
another command.

    Yes -- it is *possible* to deal with such characters, but you
have to either put a pair of "'" (single quotes) around the whole name,
or put a '' in front of each '&' to keep it from being interpreted as
the background-the-command character.  And if you forget, you can wind
up with exciting things happening, depending on what the parts of the
filename look like.

    I'll look forward to the new version appearing -- but I will
*certainly* change the name as soon as I download it to prevent that
kind of problem.

    Enjoy,
        DoN.

Site Timeline