Plasma Cutter preferences?

Thinking of purchasing a plasma cutter. I would appreciate any suggestions of which manufacturer makes the better unit

Thank you

Bob

Reply to
Robert Then

You have to give more info than that.

What work are you planning on doing? How thick is the thickest stuff you plan to cut? What power do you have available?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hello Robert:

Ernie is right, need to know what your going to do with the plasma cutter.

I made some prototype antenna mounts for Jeeps by hand, that mounted on the back of the Jeep Body, allowing the rear window open.

I had a few cut out with a Plasma Cutter, and they needed way too much De-Burring after being cut from the Plasma Cutter. So I am not looking at a stamping outfit. I think they work well on steel.

Be advised, and good luck.

Jay in the Mojave

Robert Then wrote:

Reply to
Jay Mojave

Primary usage would be to cut steel and stainless steel sheet shapes to be welded together Metal thickness would range from 18 gauge to 3/16" I do not have 3 phase power but to have 110 and 220 power in the shop

Thanks in advance

Bob

Reply to
Robert Then

The low end Thermal Dynamics would fit the bill, will run on 110V 20 amp, and deliver full power on 220V, autoswitching. Easily carried around the shop. Can be used with metal or other templates, so any straightedge will work as a cutting guide, will work for drag cutting. The advice I get is buy from a company that specializes in Plasma cutters, which includes Thermal Dynamics. My next big purchase.

I understand that dry air is critical for any plasma cutter.

Richard

Robert Then wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Hello Robert:

Ok good deal, I forgot to say, that I was using 1/4 inch thick 6061 T6 4 x 8 inch Bar Stock Aluminum.

Going to have them stamped cut and drilled.

Jay

Robert Then wrote:

Reply to
Jay in the Mojave

HyperTherm or Thermal Dynamics. The best two plasma cutters going today. Lots of others, but these brands are better than the plasma cutters made by the welding equipment people.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

You would be well served by a Hypertherm 380. As another poster stated dry air is an important factor.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew V

extraction(means

Between Hypertherm and Hobart, Hypertherm will be infinitely easier/cheaper to get parts and consumables for.

SteveB

Reply to
SteveB

If you are looking for a decent machine with onboard water extraction(means you do not have to buy it seperately) and tunnel cooling so nothing gets into the electronics, and I believe Hypertherm torch try the Hobart plasma machines, we are quite please with ours. Just a thought.

Reply to
PAUL

I am sorry I made a mistake it is a millar spectrum, and here in canada the parts are readily available. I think if you look into it these machines are comparable if not a little better than hypotherm, but I believe they run the hypotherm torch. The machine does us well and like I said the price is better than hypotherm by far and it does the trick for us.Again just an opinion.

Reply to
PAUL