Dynamo

I bought this recently. It is just a dynamo, but the engine info plate had ignition timing details on the plate, so it might well be that it was part of a "proper" generating set

The vendor indicated that it had come as part of a Lister D driven outfit but that the engine was knackered.

Can anyone identify it for me? It appears to have a starting button next to the ammeter, so I'd guess that it is shunt wound or possibly the bulge you can just see on the far end from the ammeter is a separate starter motor. The pulley is of a curious plasticy composition materiel.

There is no separate plate to indicate output, but I'd guess it is 24 Volts. As to size, I can just about pick it up & put it in the back of the car, so between 80-90lbs I'd guess.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Well it might have been partnered with a Lister D when he got it, but it doesn't look like it started life that way:- "NOTE THIS ENGINE IS NOT GOVERNED".

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Kim,

I don't recognise that as any D gen set, its certainly not a Bruston, which I have, and not the other D set I've seen either as both came with sophisticated switch gear as well.

Reply to
campingstoveman

It does have a War Dept air to it to me, but other than that, I have no idea.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Its a 1260W set so is definitely military. Such battery-charging sets were made with a wide variety of engines during WW" and up to the late 60s. Engines used included JAP, Norman, BSA, and no doubt others. AFAIK all were direct coupled. I suggest removing what looks like a pulley from yours and checking the shaft centre-height.

hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

How so? Presumably that would imply not only military, but some specific use and near-standardised design?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Roland Craven

I'm sure you will ahve tried, but Googling "charging set 1260w" and variations thereof brings up quite a few hits - refs to 19 set and other miltary comms etc.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Isn't it Charging Set No 2 ? I thought that was visible on the label.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Yes, a couple of hits on charging set 1260 watt no2 relate to Onan 123L

- would that accord with the ungoverned engine caveat on label or were there other variants?

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Many though Onan might be a good choice in this case.

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I've seen one quite recently, didn't look at the label at the time, but Onan sounds right.

Might have been one at the Wings of Liberation Museum radio room, but I checked my pictures and couldn't see anything that matched, might be other pictures that I took but didn't put on the website.

'Thinks for a minute'

Ah! Astle Park rally in the Club stall, there was something like this, that's what I am remembering. I aked Phillip Gallimore if it sold or not. Pound to a Penny it was this one, the size was about 2ft cube with a perimeter tube frame etc etc and some large battery type terminals and ammeter.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Might well be. The vendor was east of York & had a very nice BIG Bamford.

I've just got the dynamo - no frame etc.

Thanks to all for the help, I think the consensus is right from what I can find too. An American unit originally driven by an Onan unit.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Isn't that most of the new Dodge Chargers?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Very good, Andy. Humour out of hand so to speak ...........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Just to tie this up neatly:

Stationary Engine magazine, September 2006, top of page 5.

BMB Charging set, 1260W No2, identical to the one I saw at Astle Park.

Onan engined.