Dynamo help sought

The Maytag 72 could do with something to drive & I have this rather decrepit Lucas 12 volt dynamo looking at me expectantly. I watched "Waking The Dead" & went down to put a final coat of paint on the kickstart cover. Whilst it was toasting nicely in front of the electric fire, I had a look at the dynamo. The two brushes have leads which emerge on the surface of the outer cover on separate terminals. The field coil connects to a post which also comes out there, set in an insulated sleeve.

I cleaned the manky commutator, freed off the brushes in their holders & tried to motor it, connecting a 12 V battery to both brushes and bridging one then the other to the field coil post. Nothing. Whilst it got notchy as the power was applied, it wouldn't motor. I checked the comm with an AVO & have continuity between them all & whilst dusty, it actually looks pretty good in there.

What am I missing?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The other end of the field coil? (perhaps grounded to the body?)

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Yerst, I really should have looked more closely. I'd bridged the other brush to the outside of the field post, assuming it was a steel sleeve. Now I clean it up, it is black fibre. Bridging the other brush to the body does complete the circuit & it motors just fine.

A wire cup brush on the pulley spins it up to 3,000 rpm & the AVO says 14 -

15 Volts.

A thorough external clean with a sanding disc in an angle grinder & a run over with the brass cup brush removed all the paintwork, ali corrosion and old fashioned rust & it's sitting on the vice reeking of grey primer.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, Does Graham Correy still do that casting set to turn a dynamo into an open frame dynamo? It would probably look very nice that way!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft