Norman News

I at last have a pair of exhaust pipes for my T300 - non original in copper but not bad and certainly better than nothing. Fitting them reminded me that I had not managed to get a very good valve seal when I assembled this engine over christmas a couple of years ago - despite apparently good valves and seats freshly ground, compression was weak with an audible hiss from the exhaust ports when turned over slowly.

I thought about taking the heads off again to investigate, but laziness got the better of me and I decided to see if it would go. Bit of a pig to start, probably due to the low compression, but once going it roared away merrily. As it was just sitting on a board (laziness again) I had to hold it down to stop it escaping onto the lawn, so I was forced to bask in the exhaust noise and gale from the flywheel fan for the duration.

After half an hour or so I closed the fuel tap and waited for peace to break out, and waited, and waited for so long that I began to suspect that either the fuel tap leaky or I had discovered the 'perpetuum mobile', but eventually it stuttered to a halt. Compression was now much improved and I couldn't hear any leaking into the exhaust, mind you I couldn't hear much else either!

Still not quite right, even without a silencer these engines are usually fairly inoffensive off-load and the heads seemed to get hotter, quicker than I would have expected with the mighty wind blowing upon them so I suspect the ignition is somewhat retarded (the magneto coupling disc is a rather mangled affair someone has 'crafted' out of canvas belting). Also it won't run unless the choke is almost closed - anyone know what the correct jetting is for the Solex 26 FH?

Reply to
Nick H

Silly question, Nick, but if it needs a lot of choke, why not open the choke & weaken it off unto death?

They are certainly draughty beasts, the marine engine I normally cart around with me runs really cold on tickover , but will accept being unchoked almost immediately.

The very similar C-V MR2 runs a lot warmer & that's cowled - strange, innit?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

'Cos it stops!

Reply to
Nick H

Have you checked that the jets and passages are not blocked? In particular the passage from float to main jet is very prone to MAZAK "furring". The other cause I've encountered is leaks round the carb/crankcase joint caused by past use of wrong gasket (way too thin) or overzealous tightening. hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote

Have checked jets and internal passages, but not for air leaks further down stream - I put my trust in blue Hylomar, but I guess I should at least eliminate that possibility before looking for more complicated solutions!

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Current settings appear to be 65 on idle and 50 58 on the main/emulsion tube

See Peter Forbes' Solex page for the position of these jets if anyone want's to check their engine for me ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Sorry, forgot link:-

Nick H

No, no - my point was that you sat frozen in a howling gale keeping the thing from vibrating its way across the garden - done that, been there - with the petrol off & the choke on waiting for it to stop. If it stops when you take the choke off .........................

;-P Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn