The mapman

Just caught a repeat on Beeb2 of one I missed. He was poodling around the Black Country in a narrowboat. Engine was definitely a two-stroke but does anyone know more?

Reply to
Roland Craven

Engine was definitely a slow revving single cylinder diesel, though what I don't know, I had considered it being a Ruston VSO/Lister CD/JP or similar.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

It was making smoke in a two stroky way - I thought it might be a Petter S.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I didn't see the programme, did you get the name of the boat?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I suspect a Lister SR2 or similar...................

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Might be better off asking on uk.rec.waterways.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

In article , Tim Leech writes

No, but it was one of the late BW built classes with the GRP hold covers (looked in original form, but might have had an extended cabin). I forget the name of the owner, but he had been working it for 40 years.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

There's a suggestion in another place that it's an Admiral class boat (Collingwood), indeed one of the 'late built BW classes' (late

1950's), but they didn't have the glass fibre 'blue tops' originally - these were fitted to the River class, so they must have been acquired for this boat at a later stage. Engine would be an Armstrong Siddeley AS2, 2-cyl air-cooled 4-stroke. Sorry chaps

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net

John Ambler

In article , Tim Leech writes

Thank you for reminding me of the class names (I remembered Admiral, but forgot River), I must have been on the bank too long.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Gentlemen,

I would agree with Tim that that the Barge is the Coliingwood, Birmingham Canal Boat Services Ltd on side of boat. The Boat man was a Graham Wigley of said Company and there is a picture of the Barge on the Net

but I would agree with Roland that it was definitely a two stroke or a very sick four stroke :-))

The > >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Being intrigued by this I stuck a post on the waterways newsgroup which returned this response from "The Model Man"......

"I can confirm it was Collingwood complete with her AS2 (I think its the as2) def Arm Sid. It may have sounded like a hot bulb but that was down to the speeds we run at on the cut. IIRC 18bhp at 1000 revs but she wouldn't have run at that speed on the BCN for very far!!!! "

Still th>Gentlemen,

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net

John Ambler

Don't forget that a 2-cyl engine nearly always has the cranks at 180 degrees, a 4-strole 2-cyl will fire twice at 180 degrees & then pass through 540 degrees (I think that's right!) before the next firing stroke, and except at very low speeds the two exhausts will seem to merge into one. So for instance if the said Armstrong were running at

600 rpm (not unlikely pottering along a shallow canal) the actual exhaust beat woult appear to be at 300 per minute.

One visual difference is likely to be that the Armstrongs had exhaust fittings for 1 1/2" BSP pipe, a 12 hp S-type (the size sometimes used in canal boats) would have something rather bigger than that!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech