Export just one view?

Have any of you ever seen or heard of a macro or add-in to export just one view on a drawing to dwg or dxf? I know that there's many ways that I can do it manually, but this is something I need to do quite often, and if I could simplify this to a few clicks, that would be extremely productive. Let me know... thanks!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

No, but I recently wrote one that snags the model & config in a selected view. If you do decide to write it, you might want that part of the code to start.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Brian, do you need dimensions or do you just need the lines of the model? It makes quite a difference to have all the dims you will have to copy the view to another sheet then export it. If you want the outline for say a CAM system I recall mention of a macro that some of the sheetmetal people here use to export their data to a CAM readable format. Maybe DXF. If all else fails I could write you one relatively cheap to fit your needs.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

A quick way to accomplish this is to place all other items on your drawing on a layer (for example the title block and all annotations). Then hide the views you do not wish to export, then save as a dxf. This will only dxf out the visable view. Then turn the layer back on and show the other views on the drawing.

This could be accomplished very easily with a macro, that would do all this using a selected view.

JP

Reply to
Jeff Parker

Corey--I only need the model lines. For different reasons--sometimes for CNC, sometimes to create templates to make parts by hand. Same idea.

Jeff--I've tried using layers, but (hidden or unhidden) the layers show up in the resulting DXF file. Is that something that I have control over? I didn't think so.

Thanks for the help,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

I now see what you mean about the layers. We just have the CNC software setup to not read pre-defined layer numbers.

For you, another thought I had was to create a second sheet on the drawing and copy and paste the view you would like to export to this sheet. Just make sure the sheet has no titleblock on it. You could automate the dxf process, but it is already fast to saveas a DXF.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

There's a FREE utility on my site,

that will export the selected view to dxf or other 2D type. You can download it if you wish.

Kent

Brian Mears wrote:

productive.

Reply to