Just One Use items

A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool Actetylene torch Lathe with digital monitoring First aid kit spare tire for the car bear spray when hiking

Other items?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

AKA bear repellant, AKA pepper spray, it burns without combustion. There have supposedly been instances where noobs have applied it like mosquito repellant. I prefer units with a heavy lead content, myself, say 10mm to 12 ga. In some states you can get bear repellant where pepper spray is outlawed. Same cans, different lettering.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Machinery's Handbook as a last resort when finally looking something up after you thought you knew it all. Cutting threads comes to mind.

Bob Swinney

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool Actetylene torch Lathe with digital monitoring First aid kit spare tire for the car bear spray when hiking

Other items?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Jim sez "What's in the bear spray, napalm?" Naw, better if the spray contains sex pheromones, so you can through on your hunting companion while you get Hell out of there..

Robert Swinney

It's just extra 'hot' pepper spray. The canister usually has a bit more volume and range as well.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Mr. Bill's sliver grippers and a magnifying light, 3x. Gets used more than once though, might not count. ;>)) phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

And the Bear Spray tends to shoot farther and with more volume, then small cans of "pepper spray"

There are a couple advances of pepperspray over bullets

  1. Doesnt harm the animal
2.Tends to temporarily blind them so they cant see you to attack.

On the other hand...#2 is really really Iffy.....

Carry a caliber suitable to stop the attack, and use pepper spray as your first line of defense..but be also prepared to quickly switch to the caliber you chose if the spray doesnt fend off the attack.

Gunner

"I believe that being despised by the despicable is as good as being admired by the admirable."

From long experience myself, I can only say, "You betcha."

Reply to
Gunner Asch
¤x?U]oÛF|.Ŭ6PI G?8.P8M¢6`ôñH.??;Jå¿éOí,i?lyx?îfggg÷²ì3'J ?\úPQlüï*Ñosè"? ?t¾Þ^?¬¬Ò&/½=^¥sò?|ÈTá»D_¼?Ò?¨@?Ù|Fó×Ë_N?'¯éåìl6£JW´ :ñ«??sTª.2%?©¶e???yTbn9)³õa­??µ7ÆoñºÌÞêwBà«ÃîG-go???»¨?ýq}óó?bR.¾þÐoz÷·ð?xùö?~·CÛ_ïÐ{üåâôe§ôI[ºÕ?â ??çy~ Êcä?î!ß,Oæäñ·?óëä??N°?¿=?ð$ª0)Uï;·:¿x[e ãKaÖøô½?/?yþÏBª?zÚ6ì¨ÑR?'÷ÿ/ÎetL¾mÄd9ý%?;Ù[8tÅ,â?{JSrªU??²©§?¨µ??EÛÑ|A+% ?¢·,M?@>Bk:Za
Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Dial 911?

Actually I've stood still and they just walked past.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Double Ought!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

pheromones, so you can

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? Faster than the guy next to you.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

They can be sneaky, though. My uncle was trout fishing on Pine Creek in PA many years ago, and stepped out of the stream to eat some blackberries off a bush. He was just getting into it when he heard a "woof," looked around, and saw a second-year cub eating blackberries on the other side of the bush. The bear spun around and ran off -- but not before discharging fully digested blueberries all up and down the uncle.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

An excellent tool for almost No Money.

I've had one on my key ring for many years.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

1) "CPR for dummies" book 2) A toilet plunger (may be used in conjunction with (1) or as an item for its originally intended purpose - either way...priceless! 3) Impact wrench (learned that one after the event). 4) A Big Hammer (paid for itself several times over).
Reply to
Michael Koblic

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:18:05 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

I've been buying Victorinox Classics for a couple decades now. Target has them on sale for $10 every once in awhile, and I even got one for one of my girlfriends who often borrowed mine. I've had red and blue ones, but not the pink translucent or USA versions. The little tweezers on them are very good.

they're good for years and years, not just one use.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've friend who acquired the name "Snuffles". Out on the trail one morning in Yellowstone (where he worked) came round a bend and there was a small bear. He froze, it froze. Then the bear came towards him, took a couple sniffs, turned around and went back the way he'd come. When the bear was out of sight so did Mike.

I've also heard of blackberry pickers being out and realizing that on the other side of the bramble, are some bears. So as long as everybody doesn't make any sudden loud noises, stays on their side, and there are plenty of berries - alles gut! But now you understand why women tend to chatter. "Just little ol' me, over here on this side, Mrs Bruin, not anywhere near where you and the cubs are."

pyotr filipivich

Any tool from Harbor Fright, more than one use is a bonus!

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Depends on ones relations with ones children. Id have slavered meat sauce and put some fresh uncooked steaks in my sons shirt pocket if we had been anyplace there were bears of any note.

Gunner

"I believe that being despised by the despicable is as good as being admired by the admirable."

From long experience myself, I can only say, "You betcha."

Reply to
Gunner Asch