Repeat Regions

I need to know if it is possible in WF2 to create repeat regions that will list all the PIECES in a PART. The Company produces several models that are all similar with some of the parts being different sizes in each model. The parts and assemblies are created with Family tables. It was decided to create the DRAWINGS using the DEFAULT assembly and tables controlled with Repeat regions. These list the PART NAMES, PART NUMBERS, QUANTITY etc. of all the parts in the ASSEMBLY with separate tables below to list the differences between models.

Some of the PIECES that make up the PARTS themselves have dimensions that are calculated with relations. Each of these dimensions has been changed to a NAMED dimension. Then each PART is created from the Default using Family tables and given a PART NUMBER that is used in the Assembly drawings.

The problem is when I want to produce the PART drawings. It would be nice to list each PIECE in a table (like with the Assembly) automatically. But I have to enter each one manually, which is a pain, especially if more pieces are added or piece names are changed. But the main problem is that I need to have the varying dimensions listed automatically by PART NUMBER, in a table below. Without this I have to open each version of each part and get the required measurements.

So to put it simply, I can't seem to create a repeat region for PARTS (only for assemblies). Second, I don't know how to access a NAMED dimension on a PIECE and have it list the real dim associated to the PART NUMBER (in a table in a PART drawing).

I really appreciate the help that you gave me previously and any information that you can offer now.

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter

You can create such a table. It will be a table of parameters contained in a family table. It's called a 2-D repeat region. There's a pretty good description of how to set one up in detailing help under table repeat regions. Naturally, for this to display what you want to see, the parameter, feature, dimension, etc. needs to be listed as a column in the family table, so you might have to add some columns.

Reply to
David Janes

David, thanks for the answer, the family table and repeat region worked great. However I still have part of the problem. One of the dimensions is created with an equasion in RELATIONS while in SKETCH mode. This is on the generic model. To date there are 7 different size models that use this generic in the family tables The actual measurement of this part depends on the model chosen and the dimension has been renamed to H01. I can't put the H01 dimension in the family table because I don't know the correct dimension for each model.

What I need to know is: Is it possible to include this dimension (and possibly others created with relations) in a table in a DRAWING so that the table will display each instance of the part name in one column with the correct H01 dimension in the column next to it? And of course, how I go about doing it.

Thanks aga> > I need to know if it is possible in WF2 to create repeat regions that

Reply to
Peter

Peter, you seem to thiink it's significant that ssome feature dimension is created/governed in a sketch by a relation. It isn't really all that significant where it originates: it's still a feature dimension. So, for example, you create a relation in sketcher that says sd3=sd2*.7 and when you verify the relation and complete the feature, the value of one part of a feature is checked by another part of the same feature and is accessible only through the sketch. But, you'lll notice, that when you finish the sketch, sd3 has turned into d3, a feature dimension. So you change d3 to H01. When you create your family table, d3 or its alias, H01, should be available as a dimension when you select the feature it is attached to. And its value should update for every model where this value varies as a result of the operation of the sketcher relation. Honestly, I'm mystified by the problem. I've likely misunderstood something.

Reply to
David Janes

David, as usual it turns out to be something simple and stupid (on my part). When I added the named dimension (H01) to the Family table, I forgot to VERIFY (how dumb). So the dimension was shown correctly in the generic column and all other models had an asterisk to say that they are all the same as the original. This was reflected in the drawing table that also displayed the the same for each model. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help solve the problem.

If I may, I have another question to ask. But this one probably doesn't have a simple solution (if any at all). I have created a PART which could be a simple weldment. It consists of a front plate, a back plate, a side plate and a top plate. As it is, I create a table with columns for ITEM#, NAME, DESCRIPTION, MATERIAL and QUANTITY and rows for each piece. I must add the information for each one manually. Is there a way to add a table to the drawing that will automatically list each of these pieces in the part, using the names in the MODEL TREE? Of course, I wouldn't want to include datums and holes etc. I don't mind reading this information, if it is possible, but I have read until my eyes bleed and I can't find what I need. Do you know if this can be done and where I can get the info?

Thanks again Peter

David Janes wrote:

Reply to
Peter

---------------

When I did weldments, they were not parts but assemblies. Each piece of the weldment had a rough and finish size; cuts were made in the pieces to simulate "squaring up" anything that needed preliminary machining. So, "cut" tables listed both sizes and this was done with parameters equated to rough and finish sizes. Your table doesn't seem to capture size information so I wonder what it's for.

If this were an assembly, these things would easily correspond to repeat region parameters: rpt.index, asm.mem.name, asm.mem.cparam.description, asm.mem.cparam.material, rpt.qty (cparam means "component parameter"). Other than this, it is possible to make a family table composed of features, to pick features to include (which would seem to be all of them) and to include them by their name. I have no idea what this buys you but, for what it's worth, it is possible.

Reply to
David Janes

David, thanks very much for all the useful info and if you start to feel good about 8:00 pm tonight, it is because I will be toasting to your good health with a couple of beers. And it probably won't do me any harm as well.

David Janes wrote:

Reply to
Peter

To your health and happiness! May fame and fortune follow! Cheers! And, forgive me, I started without you (it's Friday and I'm Irish)

Reply to
David Janes