Maytag motoring

The bits arrived from Peter Forbes on Saturday - thanks Peter! - and having decided that as Burbage was actually further east than Marlborough, I didn't really fancy driving quite so far for a crank up, I'd get a round tuit.

I'm not easy about holding a big end together with cheese headed screws, but that's what they use, so I did them up tight having wiped the big end eye with a little moly grease. There are no gudgeon pin circlips, there being little home made aluminium pads that cover the ends, lightly driven into the pin bosses. The pin itself is a light drive fit in the small end eye. For light duty only, as they say ..........

The pistons came with rings on them, plus a brand new set carefully wrapped in bubbles. I decided I'd use the rings it came with - it's hardly a lot of work to change them later, after all. The rings are not pinned, unusual in a two stroke, and the top ring groove has two slim rings in it. Lightly greased, they slipped easily enough into their bores and blew off the exploratory finger over the plug 'ole.

It took about an hour all together, then into the garden to try it out. After fiddling around with the air & petrol mixture, it started easily enough & ran cheerfully for an hour or so. I'd deliberately overdone the oil & it slowly got smoky, but there were no nasty clanking noises & the rings appeared to be doing their job OK.

Back in the workshop, I dug out the bag of bits that originally came with it & assembled a kickstart mechanism from much better bits. I actually started it with my hand on the bench - cough, cough. Various bits were painted & I'm hoping to get in a longer run this afternoon. Photos later.

Like most two strokes, it doesn't really like being off load, so I've found it an old 12volt car dynamo to drive, more of which anon ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

One thing - which way round does the deflector on the piston go? I've put them back in with the steep side of the ramp facing the transfer port, working on the basis that it will deflect the incoming charge upwards into the combustion chamber & shield the exhaust port.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim, If it was the other way around it would be unlikely to run.

Mart> One thing - which way round does the deflector on the piston go? I've

Reply to
Campingstoveman

That's OK then, my notes were unclear & it was some months ago when I took it to bits, but it was the logical choice.

I think I've radically overdone the oil. There is carbon in the port & it keeps petering out, so I've stood it on end overnight to see if that helps. It would not be the first time I've left Puch mopeds upside down overnight with the plug out to drain the crankcase of oil rich petroil. Doesn't do any harm & saves the impecunious customer the cost of a strip down;o))

Can anyone tell me the correct oil to petrol ration for a '72?

Examining the silencer, there are only two 1/8" holes in it - surely it ought to have more? It would go a long way towards explaining its lack of enthusiasm to rev!

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You haven't got any left, have you? (ex-Maxi owner, had it nicked out the garage just after it'd been fully restored with a rebuilt engine - the only bit that ever came back was the tax disc.....)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Reply to
Campingstoveman

The 2 stroke oil ratio from the 1920s and 30s will differ greatly from todays mixtures due to the fact that modern synthetic two stroke oils are much better and can be mixed in much lower quantities - most modern strimmers at 40 to 1 or so - I would suggest trying leaning it out gently from a start of about 25 to 1 until it runs sweet with a nice hint of blue just to show the oil is getting there. A drop of redex in the mix wouldn't hurt either...

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Just remember that when you reduce the amount of oil, you are in effect increasing the amount of gasoline that is passing through the jets so the mixture will actually richen.

To do the job properly you need to reduce the size of the jets as well.

Regards,

Chris Kessell

Reply to
Chris

Took the exhaust pipe off this afternoon & refilled the tank with 50:1. Started easily & ran much better, the plugs being quite 'plain chocolate' after 30 minutes. I shall invent for it a much shorter exhaust, one that doesn't include an eight foot length of flexible exhaust that acts at a petroil condenser! It occurs to me that the effective bore size of the pipe is being decreased by turbulent gas along the convolutions. What does the forum think?

The dynamo has been gloss blacked & arrangements are in hand for mounting it this evening.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

That's the length it was sold with but it sounds like an incorrect end thingy. I suggest contacting Maytag Mark Shulaw. He pops up on Oldengine. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Is that still legal? Not that I'm trying to interfere with your entertainment but look what happened to 'muffin the mule'! :)

Mark

Reply to
mark.howard10

Mark,

The nation has forgiven Muffin cos he is back on the Telly :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Yeah, he's served his time, after all. Good job he wasn't a glove puppet, really.

The 12 Volt Lucas dynamo cleaned up really well and several coats of grey primer & satin black have worked wonders. My shopping trip came up with 8mm studding & appropriate nuts and washers. The skids the engine is mounted on are oak & the best way to mount the dynamo was to cross drill them, insert the studding & make up appropriate sleeves in steel tube to support it when nipped up. Did all that & it took about an hour. I have still to make the adjuster rod/bar, but that shouldn't present any particular problems.

I'd measured the speed of the engine this afternoon & it is happy at about

1,300RPM. I don't think it was designed to run any faster, but it should be sufficient to make the dynamo generate, the available pulleys being much of a size. I first thought to fit a standard FADE (or FEAD) car regulator, but that's less fun than doing it manually. I've got suitably vintage Ammeter & a Voltmeter & one of those multi-position brass post resistances that describe part of a circle with a cast iron cage & coils of NiChrome wire inside. You know, the ones that look as though they came from Dr Frankenstein's workshop ;o))

I'm looking through my wood pile now for suitable oak planks to match the skid frame, but am actually inclined to make a separate free standing board. It won't suffer from vibration & could be connected to other devices than the one at hand. A further thought is that it could be placed within reach of the public & selected faces might be invited to turn the handle, see the needles move & the bulbs glow brighter.

Ah, the blaze of enthusiasm. It must be fanned to keep it alive!

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Actually the exhaust/silencer that came with the Maytag *is* the correct one, and they're quite difficult and expensive things to find! The idea of course is that the engine would be doing its thing on the washing machine indoors, whilst the pipe is hung out of a convenient window or door. Just imagine how long it would take to fill a room with smoke......

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

I can hear pursed lips & hard looks ;o)) OK, I accept the point, but surely the neat CI silencer should have more than two 1/8" holes in it? I'm loath to change it, but it just stifles the motor as it is, to the extent that it occasionally fires in the crankcase.

It runs for about half an hour & slowly peters out from retained oily mixture which drained overnight by standing it on its end with the bottom spark plug out. Running it yesterday sans exhaust cleared its little head & then it was absolutely fine, maintaining a steady two stroke cycle at 1,000 RPM with the pulley loaded.

I'm keen it should remain original but I'd like it to go as well ;o))

I'll go and talk to Mark.

[...]

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure mine has 4 x 1/8" holes equally disposed about its OD.

Reply to
Nick H

Yep, about 3" Dia, marked S309 and with 4 approx 1/8" holes - could be the 'super sports' version of course ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Out for another run this afternoon. I had a closer look at the silencer & gave it a good clean up - and there appeared the other two holes, filled in completely with carbon. Buoyed up with the mission of authenticity, I refitted it ready for a run.

I'd found an aged vee rope (like a vee belt, but its core is rubber, not wrapped layers of rubber-impregnated cloth) that was exactly the right length to drive the dynamo. It is only fit for the bin, really, but I never throw away any vee belt as a range of them at hand is so useful in identifying length for the purchase of new ones.

I started it on a pull rope as that will spin the engine over so much quicker than the kickstart. After about ten minutes, I turned it off, fitted the belt & started it again on the kickstart. I checked the output & was pleased to find it generating 14.50 Volts at about 1,000 RPM. Sad to say, it went down onto the front cylinder within five minutes and would not restart after an apparently unnecessary plug clean.

Plenty of fuel in the tank and it was sparking from lead to plug terminal as it stopped. Remember what I said about Mr Day being Mephistopheles in overalls? Bloody things ......

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

kim, My tarpen states half pint oil for every gallon petrol mix.

Martin P

Kim Siddorn wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Maytag Mark says 16:1 regardless of modern oils. Seems rather excessive to me .............

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn