400 speed motor question

Does anyone know if I can put a 400 speed motor such as a Trick R/C 400 into my AeroBird which has a 380 speed. If I can what kind of performance can I expect and what will it do to the battery....7.2 volt 900mh?

Thanks all

Darren

Reply to
Darren Earle

The speed 400 in a Zagi gets it's best performance at 9.6v. If you reduce the voltage down to 7.2 volts it will have a lot lower RPM, and probably won't add any power to your aerobird.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

If you peel back the label on a Zagi speed 400 it says Mabuchi 380. There are two main flavors of 380/400, 6 volt and 7.2 volt. Can you see what the voltage rating is on the Aerobird motor?

Reply to
John Alt

almost certain;y it will work and be very similar.

You need a 6vsp400 to run off that pack satisfactorally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

actually there are about a hundred flavours, 4.8v, 6v, 7.2v and various others all made my mabuchi and all with slightly different magnets,bearings, brushes, timings, windings etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

actually there are about a hundred flavours, 4.8v, 6v, 7.2v and various

others all made my mabuchi and all with slightly different magnets,bearings, brushes, timings, windings etc etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Exactly true... Most 380 and 400 motors have pretty much the same sized can based on the 'standard' Mabuchi 380 (and many are near clones by other MFG). All of the variables above are changed to meet the needs of the customer. The windings are one of the large factors that determine what the reccomended voltage should be (and are rarely published).

These motors will run on a variety of voltages... the reccomended on is ussually the voltage that the motor can take with a reasonable (proper) load, and still last a long time.

Heck, even the varnish on the windings can be upgraded to allow the motor to run hotter. Heat is the ultimate enemy of the motor, and many features in the endbell, bearings, spacers, and windings are upgraded to handle the heat.

It can be said that there is NO STANDARD in the broader class.

-- aerobirdtoo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

aerobirdtoo